Still A Twat With The Van

Have you tried driving away from him? I have and he follows and jumps in and by the time I get round the fooker jumps straight back out.

yep tried that i got 3 mile down the road and he still wasnt in the back :laugh:

not sure where the previous pic went

Screenshot_2015-02-13-14-46-232_zps4ksft

If the pup doesn't associate the van with something pleasurable, or it has been frightened initially, then the behaviour becomes fixed. Also, if you have always lifted it into the van then it becomes a stumbling block psychologically: the pup thinks it can't or shouldn't get in. Most pups do learn to jump in once they are big and strong enough, but I've also had ones that needed to be physically shown how to do it. Put the front paws on the edge of the van/car, then get behind them and lift their back ends in. Do this a few times and they have the physical motion registered in their brains.

It is easy to forget just how much certain things can affect a pup's development at an early age: if, for example, another dog, already in the vehicle, has barged, snapped at or shoved as a young pup, or even tried, fell and hurt itself a bit, that incident stays forever in some pups' minds, unless you make very sure that the action of jumping into the vehicle is always associated with something fun.

• Like 2

If the pup doesn't associate the van with something pleasurable, or it has been frightened initially, then the behaviour becomes fixed. Also, if you have always lifted it into the van then it becomes a stumbling block psychologically: the pup thinks it can't or shouldn't get in. Most pups do learn to jump in once they are big and strong enough, but I've also had ones that needed to be physically shown how to do it. Put the front paws on the edge of the van/car, then get behind them and lift their back ends in. Do this a few times and they have the physical motion registered in their brains.

It is easy to forget just how much certain things can affect a pup's development at an early age: if, for example, another dog, already in the vehicle, has barged, snapped at or shoved as a young pup, or even tried, fell and hurt itself a bit, that incident stays forever in some pups' minds, unless you make very sure that the action of jumping into the vehicle is always associated with something fun.

Common sense really I have a big black dog that as a pup never wanted to jump back in the 4x4 as he knew it was the end of the outing ,lost my temper with him once stupidly shouting at him after that he circled the car each time it was home time..I had to carry a couple of chew sticks as a bribe , he got over it eventually .