kelpie cross's what are they like and are they any good

Guest hunterside

I think they're great but then I'm biased as I have three pure kelpies! The main thing to remember is that, despite what some people say, they are not simply a prick-eared collie with a smooth coat. They work things out differently to collies and have a different outlook on life but it's way too big a subject for one post; you'd need a whole book. If you're interested in them, I'd suggest meeting someone who has a kelpie cross and see if they're what you're after, then you can make your mind up for yourself. :thumbs:

I know this may be a sweeping statement which is hugely over simplifying things but I've always had the impression that Kelpies are imported because they are good at rounding up sheep whereas Cattle Dogs are imported because they are a recognised breed. To put it another way, ACDs are recognised by the KC and fetch huge prices whereas Kelpies aren't and therefore don't. Not that I'm knocking them as a breed and I get the impression that the earlier imports were from pretty good lines, but I've also heard of several people in Australia moving away from pure ACDs as cattle dogs.

But they aren't currently a registered breed ie they won't be winning Crufts next year and it's partly for this reason, in my opinion, that they don't sell for big money. Some people want them to become recognised but their main reason is simply so they can compete in KC recognised agility competitions.

In Australia a kelpie is a far better all round stock working dog as it has better stamina and is faster than a cattle dog. Cattle dogs are rarely used for serious stock work and are more at home as a guard dog. Both these dogs make poor choices as serious hunting dogs as there are no lines based on these two breeds in australia.

this is where i dont understand the ozy way of thinking, you say they are a poor choise as a hunting dog, ok thats your point of view.

yet ozys put all manner of breeds in to there pig dogs that have no place in hunting, BOXER being the obvouse one also great dane , wolfhound .

your not telling me these breeds have a better understanding of hunting than a kelpie

I hear what you are saying Tomo, but Boxer and Dane are probably put into a few mixes not for their hunting ability, more for their propensity to hang onto things. Having said that, the traditional dogs used a while back were Cattle/Bully or Bully/Boxer. Boxer seemingly have suprisingly good noses so it seems. My best mate (FJager on here) lives in cattle country and on the land we hunt there's an old boy who uses a Kelpie/Cattle cross and a Blue Heeler. The Kelpie/Cattle dog is something to behold....a truly amazing cattle dog. I'm a big fan of Kelpies and ACD and I'm lucky enough to be around some great examples of both. It does amaze me with some of the breeds involved in the pig dogs, but the best ones I have seen may have started out with some odd breeds (in UK terms) but they have been line bred for generations - best to best. IC's stuff which stems from DM's line and also DH's gear which comes from the same source, but developed along different lines are some amazing dogs I've had the priviledge to hunt with. If it works...go with it. I've known a few lads who've used Kelpie blood in their pig dogs. The best pig dog I have ever seen had wolfhound in it.....it's an alternative to using the Mastiff for size it seems....

Guest hunterside
this is where i dont understand the ozy way of thinking, you say they are a poor choise as a hunting dog, ok thats your point of view.

yet ozys put all manner of breeds in to there pig dogs that have no place in hunting, BOXER being the obvouse one also great dane , wolfhound .

your not telling me these breeds have a better understanding of hunting than a kelpie

good reply tomo, the only reason i put this thread up ive been offered a kelpie/ colly/greyhound from a mate she 3 yrs old and i dont know enought about them, she a good bunny dog a works well with ferrets the reason he's getting rid is he's at work 6 day a week and it's not fair on the dog so i might take it on and see how i go with it thanks for all replys.

As Witton says, if it's already doing what you want it to do, and if you gel with it, then it doesn't matter if it's a kelpie/collie x greyhound or a chihuahua x claudia winkleman! Sounds like a good one so good luck and keep us all posted.

As a running dog for rabbit, hare, fox, deer and other fast large native game a kelpie or cattle dog makes a poor choice for a serious hunting dog. Any dog can be used successfully as a pigdog as it does not require much in the skill department . All you need is any dog regardless of its breeding with a bit of nose, intelligence and a bit of starch. A dog that can take five out of five rabbits in a phonebox would readily make a pigdog. A kelpie makes a good all round sheep and cattle dog but a serious hunting dog it does not.

all i can add to that brother fox is this, we are talking kelpie crosses here and not pure kelpies.

although there are some guys over here using pure kelpies with good success.

also a pic saves a thousand words

lamping81107003.jpg

lamping91007004.jpg

now i aint saying there perfect, cos mine is far from that, but she sure can fill the game bag :D TOMO

Edited by TOMO