One For The Pc/laptop Tecs

am looking at a acer 5532 laptop for someone,i suspect it has a fried motherboard/gpu..

i believe the owner put the laptop to sleep then went to resume and it wouldnt work

i dont have a battery here for it so just using the power cable. when try turn it on, light at the front and on button lights up and can hear the fan etc spin but thats it.. the screen stays black and nothing else happens, it does turn off when hold the power button

things ive tryed so far:

holding the power button for 60 secs to drain cmos battery

reseating/cleaning memory sticks

connecting laptop to moniter to rule out the screen

for now am running out of ideas, is there much point cleaning the cpu and adding new thermal paste?

any helps appreciated, cheers

Edited by Joe1888

am looking at a acer 5532 laptop for someone,i suspect it has a fried motherboard/gpu..

i believe the owner put the laptop to sleep then went to resume and it wouldnt work

i dont have a battery here for it so just using the power cable. when try turn it on, light at the front and on button lights up and can hear the fan etc spin but thats it.. the screen stays black and nothing else happens, it does turn off when hold the power button

things ive tryed so far:

for now am running out of ideas, is there much point cleaning the cpu and adding new thermal paste?

I just had a similar problem, all down to the battery not holding a charge. As soon as the power supply was disconnected, it died straight away. Causing system failure. Then, the last time it disconnected it wouldnt turn on properly. same as you described, black screen, fans going.. It had corrupted its operating system and wasnt picking up one. the repair disc sorted it out.

things ive tryed so far:

I just had a similar problem, all down to the battery not holding a charge. As soon as the power supply was disconnected, it died straight away. Causing system failure. Then, the last time it disconnected it wouldnt turn on properly. same as you described, black screen, fans going.. It had corrupted its operating system and wasnt picking up one. the repair disc sorted it out.

this isnt a os fault mate, it would still show some options on start up if it was?

• Like 1

got bored :D

just striped the laptop and removed the mobo.. there was a big chunk of dust blocking the air flow to the gp/cpu.

removed the heatsink, the thermal pad for the gpu is fine, doesnt seem like there was enough for the cpu

edit:

thoughts?

10937654_996100460419238_1961308909_n.jp
10928788_996100443752573_1281073923_n.jp
Edited by Joe1888

I have had cooked laptops that still beep at BIOS level, when powered on

Have you put it all back together.....any change....?

Looking at what you have tried/done I would whip out the H/D, imaging it on another machine, and bin the rest

Edited by Flipper_Al

I have had cooked laptops that still beep at BIOS level, when powered on

Have you put it all back together.....any change....?

Looking at what you have tried/done I would whip out the H/D, imaging it on another machine, and bin the rest

I havnt yet, got nothing good enough in the house to clean off the old thermal paste, still got some artic silver kicking about. Cheers