Advice On Keeping Ferrets

Please go easy on me people...

I've been offered a working ferret from a kind member on here and im just wanting some advice before i jump into the deep end, i would like to know whether they are best kept single or in pairs ???

Also, i will be keeping outside but any advice on size of hutch and whether 1 or 2 tier would be best ???

I'm hoping to get them out working and bolting to my whippet once a week or maybe 2 when possible...

I have read up on breaking ferret to my whippet and think i've got my head round that part :)

Any advice, links to sights or info would be really appreciated

atb

Andy

Edited by zandy01

Best kept in same sex pairs.

The bigger the hutch the better, a ferret court even better.

Get your whippet used to the ferrets and vice versa as otherwise it's pretty pointless having a dog.

Enjoy, nothing beats ferreting with a dog.

I'm sure the ferret is already broke to dogs mate so 1/2 way there, just need to break my dog to the ferret :/

Would a 4ft hutch with 2 tiers be suitable for 2 ferrets ???

Mate you would be better reading threw here and using google before you commit to getting ferrets

As said with the hutch the bigger the better allow for a 6x2x2 for a pair at least

Then if you get a pair what sexes ?

If you go for jills how are you going to bring them out of season ?.

The list goes on and on :laugh::laugh:

Mate you would be better reading threw here and using google before you commit to getting ferrets

As said with the hutch the bigger the better allow for a 6x2x2 for a pair at least

Then if you get a pair what sexes ?

If you go for jills how are you going to bring them out of season ?.

The list goes on and on :laugh::laugh:

Ok mate,

I'll keep doing some research before I commit 100% to anything...

Cheers

Yep 6ft x2ft x2ft min, any size court would be better.Defo a pair or more,which will help when out working them as well.If your new to the game and plan on keeping/working ferrets for a few years then i would get a young hobb and have him done at the vets.You can then add as many jills as you like knowing you can take them out of season when nessersary .If you ever get to the stage you want to breed borrow a hobb in or get another hobb of your own.Good luck!!

Cheers for advice lads...

Would something similar to this accommodate 2 ferrets for sleeping and playing without the need for anything other than ladders/pipes etc ??? 6' long x 2 1/2' deep x 3 1/2' high

E3E9D135-A7C1-411C-BBA5-9377172B7F3E.png

I only have a yard and no garden so concrete base, I was planning on using our wall as the back and one end then making front of court with wood frame and wire then making living/sleeping area with wood including the back or will the brick wall be ok as the back of the living/sleeping area ???

Basically I have and L shaped brick wall where I want to build it all and make as easy and cheap as possible

Hope this makes sense ?

some thing like that mate i reckon i could get all my 14 ferrets in comfortably and only need to take the hobs out when they come into season , and the more you can fill it with to keep them amuse the better there bright intelligent animals

A brick wall is fine but not for the sleeping quarters my court its 6x4 and is also built onto a wall. I've screwed the sleeping quarters onto the wall with a ladder so they can climb up so it keeps it off the floor.

As has been said fill it with pipes and other toys and you'll have happy healthy ferrets. I like courts cos it gets the ferrets used to seeing you and the dogs at ground level

Yes that's perfect.Concrete floor is good keeps there nails down and easy to hose out etc.I have a very similar setup to the pic,built my hutches in one end wall well off the floor.I managed to get 3 hutches in a stack all secured to the wall.Because they have the run the hutches do not need to be massive,I have the bottom hutch where they all live together with 24hr access to the run,middle hutch is for when jills are in season and i need to separate the hobbs out,and the top hutch is spare if i breed or need to separate a ferret due to illness etc.As has been said fill it with stuff there be happy as Larry and there great fun to watch :D