Fallow Buck

Was waiting in a ditch-line dividing two fields looking onto some forestry when I spotted this guy in the opposite field , he was 240m away and grazing away from me with a doe with him.As it was an open field I couldnt stalk any closer so i lay on the bank and took a heart shot.he folded over with a mighty thump from the impact,lifted his head once then never moved again,The doe ran on another 20 m and stopped to look back but I decieded to let her go as I knew I would have enough work with the drag with this guy alone.shot with a 165gr remy accutip 308

2yplpjp.jpg2rosv29.jpg

Edited by hiddenmongoose
  • Like 3

Nice one H , did he have much weight to him ? looks fairly lean , the one I shot the other day had just about shagged himself out .Has the rut finished over there ?

Weighed in at 51kg, he wasnt skin and bones but you could tell he had lost a fair bit of bodyweight.Rut is over here,I didnt manage to get a buck during the rut despite finding 3 good rut stands and hearing some good grunting.Things just didnt work out this year but sure thats the excitement of it all

Nice one H , did he have much weight to him ? looks fairly lean , the one I shot the other day had just about shagged himself out .Has the rut finished over there ?

Weighed in at 51kg, he wasnt skin and bones but you could tell he had lost a fair bit of bodyweight.Rut is over here,I didnt manage to get a buck during the rut despite finding 3 good rut stands and hearing some good grunting.Things just didnt work out this year but sure thats the excitement of it all

Its amazing how much weight they loose in a few weeks , at the start of the season they where in fabulous condition they seemed to have had a great summer piling on weight .I had one in the coldroom at a tad over 197lb ..the buck I shot the other day was 121lb & he was about skin & bone ..That said I heard a buck still grunting last Wednesday ..I think in general its done here as well .. :thumbs:

Its amazing how much weight they loose in a few weeks , at the start of the season they where in fabulous condition they seemed to have had a great summer piling on weight .I had one in the coldroom at a tad over 197lb ..the buck I shot the other day was 121lb & he was about skin & bone ..That said I heard a buck still grunting last Wednesday ..I think in general its done here as well .. :thumbs:

Are those weights with head off and full gralloch done ? 197 is a monster

Edited by hiddenmongoose

Are those weights with head off and full gralloch done ? 197 is a monster

It was the biggest wild buck I ever shot , head wise it wasn't very good , I gave it to Rob 58 , he wanted one to practice on , theirs a pic of it on the taxidermy section .He did a nice job on it ..my pal shot one last year 11lb heavier .

post-81636-0-33172700-1416779622_thumb.jpg

its also amazing how quickly they put it back on if the weather is mild and there is a bit of feed still about.