Absolute Vertical

That really does ring a bell mate. Every time I take the scope off the rifle or put a new one on its always canted one way or the other. I've tried the spirit level and plumb line trick but I don't seem to be able to concentrate on both at the same time :( I've been all round the houses trying and the only way I've found that works for me is to hold the gun in a standing unsupported position, wind the parallax right back and use the dining room door frame as my vertical marker and judging it by eye. Having put it in writing it sounds even dafter than I thought before but its the only way I've found that I can get my set up right. I think the moral of the story is play around and find what works for you. :)

Now put a spirit level against the dining room door frame and make sure it's plumb... :D

The only problem with that is that I put the doorframe in using the same spirit level as I've used with my rifle which combined with the same pair of eyes just makes you dizzy rather than finding a good vertical ;) (by the way where do my plumbs come in to it :-! )

• Like 1