Family Pet/gun Dog Tips

Hi Everyone,

My Partner and I are thinking of getting a dog soon, she her eyes on a sausage dog :S, but I still have some say.

I love springer spaniels but have heard they can be a bit too energetic and I'm not sure what they are like with Children.

We have a 6 year old and plan to have another baby in the next couple of year so will have to take this into account as well.

I was wondering what breeds people would suggest that are mainly family dogs but can be trained to help out when shooting.

I work 9-5, Partner does nursing shifts and we have family local to us to attend the dogs needs if we are ever leaving them for too long.

Any tips would be great, and we all like to see pictures of dogs.

As above, you need to decide what you want the dog to do before you decide on the breed. A couple of tips, don't let the kids play tug of war with the dog, it could lead to problems with retrieving/delivering game or a hard mouth. Don't let the kids kick or throw a ball for the dog to run after, or you won't be able to stop it running in when you're out shooting.

I've got two kids and two labs.

Thanks, I had never thought of that but it makes sense that tug of war would cause a lot of problems with releasing, ha.

First of all a family dog but secondly mainly retrieving pigeons, the odd day beating if they are trained well enough.

my mate had a lab and shes great he only takes her beating once a week and shes a family dog .but my preferce is a cocker but each to there own.horses for courses all do simuler jobs but some are suited better for people lifestyles atb DUANE 87

• 4 weeks later...

Most average mans gundogs are pets for a large part of the year. We have springers, work for a living and have two kids under 6, no probs. get them into a routine, take them for a walk and keep them under control! Don't let them bomb around like maniacs, give them basic commands and make sure they do them, be sensible in the house (no tug of war with the kids!), and when your out working them you'll be glad you chose the springer!

• 2 weeks later...

im relatively new to all this but isnt a lab for retrieving and a spaniel for flushing but able to retrieve to a certain size? so surely it deoends on what you want from the dog? I have a lab she is a family pet first and foremost she has just turned one so hoping to get here into working training this year.