JACKERS

Guest FOXDOG

Anyone had any of there dogs throw in the towel on the foxes this year? Have a young dog 20 months old well hes killed 4 since sunday on his own, but had him out on a walk today and he took off after a cat and jumped a wall, I ran after the dog to get him back but when I jumped the wall the dog was stood there barking his head off :blink::doh: I mean I didnt want to kill the cat but the dog should of killed it without any fuss..... and he wasnt even bit :blink: So hell get tried soon and il see what hes made of :yes: Im only in the lurcher game 18 months so this will be the first dog that might have to go although Ive alway had digging dogs :hmm: So some of you experienced lurcher lads give me some advice, is he getting to much to soon? :hmm:

I had a first season dog jack...i don't care what anyone says imo to get a 100% fox dog on the lamp...1 out 20 will do it...you'll get plenty of half hearted things but its nere on impossible to get a 100% dog

I think that if a dog is well bred ,entered correctly then you have a good chance. This chance is even higher if the dog is bred out of good wheaton/staffie/bull..........

IMHO........

good hunting...JD

theres plenty of "jackers" about, and theres plenty of people that will still breed off them aswell :no: , theres also plenty of dogs about that are'nt tested properly, so there owners will never know what they really are or are'nt capable of either.

i dont kill cats with any of mine, whether they can or can't and as JD said i would'nt compare one to a fox either, the best fox dog i ever had never blinked an eye when the neighbours cats walked past him in the garden, he just was'nt interested in them.

i think if everybody that worked there dogs regular was honest they would all admit they've had a dog jack on them in the past, i've definately had my fare share...lol first, second, third season dogs etc, they all have a breaking point..

Ok, in the past, iv only ever had one dog, that took everything and i mean everything :icon_eek: ( accept livestock!)

As i have said before, this dog was a whippet x greyhound, i never seen a dog like it since.

This dog, worked with me till it was 10 years old and took foxes, feral cats, with a vengence, it did NOT, think about it, never ever did it bark at them just got on with the job. If off the lead, this dog, was like lightning, if cats or foxes were about. :yes:

It had its fair share of deer too, a relentless worker.

I bred from this dog, but never got another like him, unreal.!!

My current lurcher, is mainly a hare/rabbit dog, she will run a fox, but bark at it when the fox turns round. Im not botherd, as i dont go mad for fox ect with lurchers anymore. :thumbs:

I did have another dog, 3/4 greyhound, 1/4 irish terrier, he was good on fox ect too, but nowhere as intent at killing as the whippet x grey!!

They use to breed them well at one time, now its getting harder to find a decent fox dog, their getting like hens teeth. :rolleyes:

Too much shit out their and folks are getting softer i reckon.

When i first came here, back in 88', it was a different story. ;)

dont push your dog to much, 4 since sunday, give him some time off,you could push him to far and he will spew best to go steady than over do it, not all fox dogs want to know cats, ive a bitch here that wont go any where near them, some times imo people push there dogs to far and then say its spewed, its not the dogs fault its the owners, im all for testing your dog but you must no when to ease off abit. example working a terrier still sore, same for lurchers, go steady and you muts will give years of sport,

theres to meny lurchers being bred from 2 & 3 year olds and for money,my old bull x bitch never had a little till she was 6 years old and i only bred her for a pup for my self and lost him at just under 2 to a 4x4 on thr road after a fox my bitch i have now is 5 years old and had a little to me old dog who is 10 as i wanted a pup out of him & this is only his 2nd little his first was 5 going on 6 years ago now,it doesnt matter what the cross they still need to be tested years after year or is it just me being to hard on the dogs and then theres note saying every one in the little is going to be spot on we would all like to think so and it just the same with the terriers yes good breeding helps but the blood as got to be right in the first place, cant see no point in killing cats it just gets you in more trouble plus theres always cats on or around the farm a sure way to lose what you have.

I had a 2nd generation 1st cross wheaten greyhound about 10yrs ago. She would tackle anything wild, but was terrified of moggies. When confronted by a cat she would turn and bolt, so i wouldn't be too worried about the dog. I must add she was never intentionally slipped on felines.cheers wex.