Electronic Dog Collars

Hi, has anybody used them and which is the best one to buy? I have a 18 month old sprocker bitch. She is fantastic training at home and very obedient, as soon as I take her beating she won't listen to anything. She does not run after the birds but will not stay close to me, it is very frustrating when she is so good at home. Kind regards Anna Baker

Anna don't use a collar get her out more and make things closer to you more appealing, have you taught her to quarter? Turn whistle? Walk her along a road with a few tennis balls and while she's working drop a few just infront of you for her to find while she's hunting NEAR YOU if you make things closer to you more appealing she should reel in a bit, sounds like the beating line is a bit too much for her just now

Hi, has anybody used them and which is the best one to buy? I have a 18 month old sprocker bitch. She is fantastic training at home and very obedient, as soon as I take her beating she won't listen to anything. She does not run after the birds but will not stay close to me, it is very frustrating when she is so good at home. Kind regards Anna Baker

Anne , the thing about an e collar is that the dog must love wearing it , believe it or not , it must be introduced much in the same way a lead is acclimated into a positive in the dogs mind , a dog understands a lead means excitement after initially rejecting it as a pup, due to it been a restriction

With dogs and I can't stress this enough, the negative must be followed by a positive , so the dog interprets the negative (collar) as leading to going out and the hunting that follows, it must seem like winning the jackpot for the mutt, it should be put on many times and just not used

After that then the collar is used only when the dog KNOWS the exercise , not to stop it doing shit which is what most people believe it's for , it's only a reminder like a little pull on a long cord ,"Hey Mate I'm talking to ya " , it should be set on its lowest setting the command given first and on its lowest is like a vibrate

When worked in this manner the mutt associates the name and vibrate or command and vibrate but the dog must know the exercise already that is crucial

Seen plenty of them misused but have seen lads at the top of their game who compete at international events with them and the dogs will bust a gut to get the e collar on, but it's all about understanding the dog at the end of the day.