Quickset Without Basket?

rodders85

Hello. I went out yesterday with my ferrets. On my permission theres a large warren which I wanted to tackle with my homemade quickset. I Got it all set up around the warren, only set 3 purse nets as the longnet didnt quite go around the full warren. 3 rabbits bolted within a few minutes and went straight in to the net. I put the ferrets in there box and untangled the rabbits from the net which had already been dispatched. I left it a while before entering the ferrets again. After ten minutes of no more bolting I decided to pack up as I only had 2 ferrets working the big warren as I only have 2 collars and had a suspicion they were struggling to bolt any more.

I packed up my longnet by taking the poles out bunching them up then rolling the whole net around them.

Is this the best way to pack it up without the aid of a basket or is there a better way?

You seem to be stuck somewhere between a quickset type of net and a traditional,.....

If you were using a net rigged as a quickset you would not have been able to remove the poles as they are semi permanently attached and I can't imagine how the netting you have is put together regarding head /foot lines.....

If I were you I'd go all out and rig yourself a proper quick set net, you also have the option of buying one ,complete with basket from one of the reputable forum members..

Your second option (and my own personal favourite ) it to take the sheet netting you have , add a head / foot line and a pair of anchor pins and work in the traditional style.

There are plenty of posts in relation to both types that may explain things better.

Best of luck.....

Oh, as an aside..... Don't leave dispatched rabbits in the net for any length of time as it makes things more difficult in the long run .

You seem to be stuck somewhere between a quickset type of net and a traditional,.....If you were using a net rigged as a quickset you would not have been able to remove the poles as they are semi permanently attached and I can't imagine how the netting you have is put together regarding head /foot lines.....If I were you I'd go all out and rig yourself a proper quick set net, yrightsalso have the option of buying one ,complete with basket from one of the reputable forum members..Your second option (and my own personal favourite ) it to take the sheet netting you have , add a head / foot line and a pair of anchor pins and work in the traditional style.There are plenty of posts in relation to both types that may explain things better.Best of luck.....Oh, as an aside..... Don't leave dispatched rabbits in the net for any length of time as it makes things more difficult in the long run .

Lol. Im not getting mixed up, like I said its a homemade quick set without a basket. When I said I took the poles out I meant out of the ground. I made it by looking at previous posts. I dont wish to use a basket as its just another big thing to carry. Also like I said I had 3 rabbits hit the net in a matter of minutes plus ferrets to keep an eye on. Whats better dispatch the rabbits or delay the inevitable as they struggle in the net. If you dispatch one and are untangling it then another rabbit hits the net id say its better to drop it and despatch the other, and if your ferrets come out put them away so you can deal with the rabbits without anymore bolting

If your net is preset on the poles and your not using a basket you can either: hank the net on each pole in turn, like an end pin or you can use your hands looping the net into your fingers, you'll need to hold the poles and the net with one hand so you can clean away any debris with the other.You can then place the whole lot into a game bag. With a little practise you should be able to manage a 50 yard net comfortably. :thumbs:

• Like 1

If your net is preset on the poles and your not using a basket you can either: hank the net on each pole in turn, like an end pin or you can use your hands looping the net into your fingers, you'll need to hold the poles and the net with one hand so you can clean away any debris with the other.You can then place the whole lot into a game bag. With a little practise you should be able to manage a 50 yard net comfortably. :thumbs:

Yes it is preset on poles. I will try that thanks nelson. I should have explained it all a bit better. Would you be able to just roll it up around the first poll and just roll the whole length up? I understand it might not be the quickest method but would it tangle? I made it in to a quickset as I though it quicker and more efficient to have the poles and bagging already set. Maybe its more appropriate to call it a preset instead of a quickset as its not that quick without a basket