Young Buck Did Well

the conditions are still not right but i nipped out with buck for an hour. we've had rain and i have a few fields of stubble i've been itching to get on that have softened up nice.

last time out was about 4 weeks ago as its been so warm but it started chilling down nice so grub time came and went and he knew what he was in for.

still a bit funny , cool enough and no moon but a starry sky. as we got on the land a fog started to fall so i knew we wouldn't have long.

tried one grass field and not a thing around.so onto the stubble. happy days, eyes everywhere.

he's still ponly 15 months so i'm still picking my slips but these were harder than the grass fields a month ago. i'm using a clulite pl400r that i've really got a liking for and though the beam is good for bunnys, unless you get the eyes , they are hard to pick out in stubble.

buck's like a coiled spring and i get the first one in the lamp. 15 yards away the rabbit's up and he's away. easy meat as its in the middle of the field. he picks it up, does his usual victory lap and the rabbit is presented 6 feet away. not to hand but near enough for me as he's not been out in a while.

second one in the lamp and its a pure sitter. 6 feet away and its up and he's away. its a good size rabbit and it weren't gonna get caught. 5 strikes at this one, every time the rabbit turning on itself and almost back under bucks legs. rabbit hit the hedge and the lamp's off.

3rd one in the lamp and walking it up, one got up to the right that i'd not seen. buck heard it and i turned the lamp. this one's off already and i slipped him. really good run to the far edge of the field and he picks it up after a couple of turns by the hedge. retrieved again to about 6 ft away but this time he let go. i bent over to pick it up and its off again. another good run and he's got it and this time retrieves to hand.

by this time the fog has really dropped so there was no point covering any other fields. we'll be out tomorrow.

i'm well chuffed. 2 good sized bunnys in the freezer, and buck's back in the game.

he's a collie cross and a its the first time i've ever had one. he's young and still learning but improves every time out even after a 4 week lay off. i'm really starting to appreciate this dog.

rabbits sorted out. buck getting a well earned feed and i'm having a few beers boring the wife about the dog :laugh:

happy days

• Like 4

cheers lads. really taking my time with this dog. this weekend looks to be much colder so i'll be out for a fair night with him. he's everything i hoped he would be.

i have 2 lamps a 1000000 cp lazerlite running a cluson lithium 9.8 amp. and a plr400 pistol light from cluson.

only really been using the plr400 up to now. as the season goes on and the bunnys get harder the lazerlite may come out. but at the minute he's taking the rabbits nice and quick