Daschund X Russell

lurcherman 887

I've seen various teckles and trickle cross breeds drive big game in Europe. They seemed to do it quite well, and were the preferred dog in some circles. Struggled a little when the snow was deep though.

Used their noses well and spoke nicely. Being hounds they would maybe hunt a little too far for the UK.

• Like 1

Have seen some, would prefer a leggy JR or other terrier (jagd teckel is done quite often over here) used in the cross to get some length in the leg department. They make great cover dogs, extremely thick brambles problem.

I'd use the most obedient terrier you can find since the teckel can be stubborn. Always fancied the idea of 1/2 terrier 1/4 teckel 1/4 spaniel. Small, nippy, vocal, good nose and drive, great stamina yet controllable.

I've worked plenty of small terriers and they struggle bushing, especially in the snow with their d^cks dragging in the snow, any leggy terrier is better than messing about with different breeds, there's plenty of pure choices that will breed true to type so why f*ck about, WM

I must admit when I got my bitch I did wonder if her little size would hinder her, but 11 years on I can honestly say her size for the land I cover has proven to be ideal. She stands at ten inch. I can however understand how a long short dog would struggle more, mines very compact.

The other thing to point out with mine is that she works at a steady pace even her sprint is slow......, this may not be for everyone, but over time I've seen the advantages of this style of worker.

I've worked plenty of small terriers and they struggle bushing, especially in the snow with their d^cks dragging in the snow, any leggy terrier is better than messing about with different breeds, there's plenty of pure choices that will breed true to type so why f*ck about, WM

Isn't the f*cking about what gave us all these breeds in the first place.....

For what I do imho there isn't a quick fix or readily available breed. Working 130-150 miles of railroad embankment to control pest species means I need a specific tool. Thick brambles all over, hazard of traffic/trains etc. You need a small compact dog, not bulky, great nose, and drive good stamina, vocal yet obedient dog. Everything they can catch themselves saves me time. Cockers are far to bulky and imho pure they are no pack dog, teckels are not obedient enough. Terriers will catch, can be vocal and can be small enough but in a pack not the most obedient.

One of the terriers I now have is a godsend, vocal small and obedient as a spaniel however I have no illusion that when she will have a litter that all the pups will be just like her.

Although I love Old style jack russells they can suffer from luxating patella's. One of mine had to have a op to fix it the other just got better with rest, although not perfect. I often thought the little bitch of mine had a little look as if she might have had some dauschund in her.

Bossie, I have worked railway embankments all my life, for over 20 yrs I controlled pest species for over 200 miles of railway and sidings for railtrack, mostly I kept to diesel lines so as to avoid electricity and the dangers involved with the dogs crossing lines, all that is needed is obedient terriers and help off lads that are organised, most pest species see railways and embankments as a safe haven but there are great dangers for terriers hunting these places, there is no need to breed a "special" type of terrier for this work as we found all the established breeds ample for the task, WM