Extra Nipples

My border collie bitch is in pup and while I was having a look at her belly today I noticed she has 3 extra nipples on the hind set of tits :icon_eek: shes got 3 nipples all grouped together on one tit and 2 on the other one. They seem to be non functioning nipples like the ones you get on male dogs,as they are not as big as the normal ones and they arent as red or swollen so Im not too worried about it, just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this in a bitch? Ive only ever seen it before in a male boxer who had one enlarged nipple on his chest and the rest were normal sized.

My border collie bitch is in pup and while I was having a look at her belly today I noticed she has 3 extra nipples on the hind set of tits :icon_eek: shes got 3 nipples all grouped together on one tit and 2 on the other one. They seem to be non functioning nipples like the ones you get on male dogs,as they are not as big as the normal ones and they arent as red or swollen so Im not too worried about it, just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this in a bitch? Ive only ever seen it before in a male boxer who had one enlarged nipple on his chest and the rest were normal sized.

I have seen it, dogs with more and less nipples. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

Have you seen a lot of bitches tits JD? :laugh::laugh:

Maybe its evolution at work, dogs are going to have more puppies in generations to come :toast: kerrrrrrching :toast::icon_redface: sorry

No....not seen every pair i want to........ :kiss: .................Yet... :D

lol.....personally i put it down to being slightly inbred, but could well be totally wrong (as usual!) :clapper:

Are you talking about me or the pooch? :laugh::laugh:

Shes got no linebreeding or inbreeding of any kind in her pedigree, must just be a freak of nature :D

My Lab bitch has extra set of functioning nipples and was pretty handy as she 11pups this March..Problem is she has suffered Mastitis and keeps getting a renifection in one of them since a phantom pregnancy . The Teat/nipple in question is granualar and not a pretty site,,She has operation on.Tuesday to remove the duplicate teat,and the nipple in question is being sent for biopsy so IMO... Is to keep an eye on it..

One of my bitches has two nipples on one mammary gland. One is a normal sized nipple, the other a small one, about an inch from the normal one: and it produced milk too, there used to be 2 pups on the one gland, both suckling away busily.

Doesn't matter how many nipples, or mammary glands, your bitch has, keep an eye on her and run your hand under her daily and you will notice if there's anything wrong.

If you notice any hardening of the mammary gland, strip some milk out (you can use a towel soaked in hot water as a compress) and put one of the bigger pups on the teat. Antibiotics wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by mackay
Doesn't matter how many nipples, or mammary glands, your bitch has, keep an eye on her and run your hand under her daily and you will notice if there's anything wrong.

If you notice any hardening of the mammary gland, strip some milk out (you can use a towel soaked in hot water as a compress) and put one of the bigger pups on the teat. Antibiotics wouldn't go amiss either.

gordon love a feel at a nipples ,ok [bANNED TEXT] how things.

Dont worry I always keep an eye on them, I have found you can spot the early signs of mastitis as they go off their food are generally a bit listless and their teats are hotter than usual, I usually dose them with amoxycilin at this stage, before the teats go hard and touch wood, Ive never had a bitch with a burst teat from doing it this way, allthough I have seen other folks bitches and they dont dose until the bitch is feverish and the teat is solid, and IMO thats too late. Cheers for the advice though :signthankspin: