New Rifle, First Night Out....

So following on from the "finding a rifle" thread, after getting to grips with what a centerfire is all about, I took my tikka .223 out tonight on some permissions,

First stop a chicken farm, accounted for my first fox with a CF, taken at just over 100 yards, sat facing me, chest shot, clean kill.

Next a new permission which boarders another two bits of ground I have permission on with fox problems at lambing time, accounted for number 2 and 3, number 2 was just mooching along some woodland, dropped on the spot with a head shot at about 130 yards, number 3, round the corner on the edge of the same bit of woodland, just stood side on, about 100 yards, chest shot.

Next on to a bigger permission which is just stubbles at the moment, accounted for number 3, 4 and 5, 3 was taken just as he was about to slide away through some bull rushes next to a river, he turned side on and was hit in the engine room, which resulted in another clean kill, but he jumped up 3 foot in the air before falling over?, saw a big flash of white as span over at about 150ish yards. Number 4 was spotted at about 200 yards, so gave my mate the signal to drive up a bit closer got to about 150, lit him up as he was mooching about, pulled the shot and missed! Which sent him zig zagging about, chambered another round and got back on him and a quick "oi" had him stop and look back just long enough to make the kill, through the shoulder 150ish yards again...Number 5 im afraid to say was not as cleaner kill as id liked it to be, which resulted in the fox running on 40 yards or so before coming down, which was quickly followed up with a better placed round....

Next, back local, on some plough, pulled in the field off the farm track and spied some eyes out about 170ish a quick dip of the lamp and a positive ID through the scope saw number 6 go over, chest shot as it sat facing me...Another clean kill. That was the longest shot of the night, with a noticed very slight delay between the crack and the thud...Number 7 was spotted from the road on another local permission, so pulled in the gate and an easy 60 yard side on, engine room shot pronounced itself on and old ww2 disused runway, and was taken.

Just round the corner through the lanes another pair of eyes was spotted from the road so we swung in the gateway and another side on shot there not 80 yards away, was missed! Gutted, don't know what happened. Probably a flyer :whistling: ...

Anyway pulled in another gateway down by the farm, we saw a cub squatting tight by a hedgerow, 50/60 yards, meant number 8 was in the bag... A quick whizz round on the rough stuff in the same field produced nothing...

Back down by the old runway a bit further into the fields saw me miss a sitting duck so to speak, another flyer :whistling: poxy ammo lol. But a quick flick round behind us produce the last fox of the night, I know it adds up to 9, but I shot 10 and I cant for the life of me remember where the other fitted in...I've been up to long!

So the new gun works fine :thumbs:...

photo12_zps6e822b4f.jpg

The hornady vmax 55grn certainly does the job well...

The chicken farmer and two sheep farmers will be happy. If I can really get on top of the local, out of control, fox population, then hopefully I will see a few more hares, ducks and pheasants this time next year. :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 5

Nice one mate great shooting. Wish I had some of your talents lol

Cheers Dan, nothing to it mate, just plenty about and covering a lot of ground. they certainly wasn't lamp shy, we could pull in a field and just whistle, most of them never gave us a second glance just carried on sniffing about.

Your not wrong terryorr, I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell if I'd hit them or not after reading about muzzle flip, flash and recoil. But theres no mistake, you know straight away, didn't kick hard either, could see them drop through the scope, that one by the bullrushes leapt 3 foot in the air before dropping stone dead...strange that...

Good night there

Good shooting

What twist is your tikka

& what ammo you useing 55g 40g

Good night there

Good shooting

What twist is your tikka

Good night there

Good shooting

What twist is your tikka

Cheers mush, its a 1 in 12 and I was shooting 55grn vmax

Right

I picked up some 55g vmax Friday

yet to work up a load for them yet

I'm useing 63 g Sierra sp @ the minute

If you go longer range they tend to buck the wind but I have a 1"8 & it stabilises the heaver bullets

Don't look like ya doing to bad for a c/f newbie tho lol

Keep up the good work

Cm

• Like 1