Thinking Of Keeping My Lurcher Out Full Time

mine are outside throughout the day, in the garden if we are home but if nobody is here they are securely locked in their run. when the kids go to bed they come indoors. not because i try to keep the kids away from the dogs (i dont!) but the cottage is tiny and kids and dogs (and the wife!) were just falling over each other! also kids get dogs in bad habits at times 9feeding them, giving them toys to chew etc).

if youre going to leave an adult dog in kennels which isnt used to it, some will settle easily but some become restless and noisey. start these by giving them a good run, then put them in the kennel with a nice meaty bone and a familiar smelling bed, and just leave for an hour or so, gradually lengthen the time. make sure you let them out before they get stressy. whatever you do, dont let them out of they start being noisey, leave them until they stop, but careful introduction should mean they dont ever become ill behaved.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a kennel and then feck around getting the dog used to it just in the hope it gets more responsive and easier to train.

mine are outside because they stink and there's too many kids about here.

I didnt "feck around" thank you. I got the kennel and run so that she is outside when no one else is home. I was merely pointing out the fact when she was left outside completely she was alot more responsive to my commands.

mine are outside throughout the day, in the garden if we are home but if nobody is here they are securely locked in their run. when the kids go to bed they come indoors. not because i try to keep the kids away from the dogs (i dont!) but the cottage is tiny and kids and dogs (and the wife!) were just falling over each other! also kids get dogs in bad habits at times 9feeding them, giving them toys to chew etc).

if youre going to leave an adult dog in kennels which isnt used to it, some will settle easily but some become restless and noisey. start these by giving them a good run, then put them in the kennel with a nice meaty bone and a familiar smelling bed, and just leave for an hour or so, gradually lengthen the time. make sure you let them out before they get stressy. whatever you do, dont let them out of they start being noisey, leave them until they stop, but careful introduction should mean they dont ever become ill behaved.

Thanks thats the plan. it didnt really matter her having a whinge at the other halfs as there are no neighbours! but at mine its a completely different story. having her from a pup would of been miles easier i think, i took her on with a whole host of problems at a year old. she's a cracking dog though and taking everything in her stride, and I was going to do similar to your suggestions with giving her a good run and then feed her in there to start with and slowly get her used to being left in longer.

Dogs out for me,,,but I got 2 kids,,,and a third due in about a month,,,,feck trusting 50 lb of muscle and teeth with toddlers and baby's ...not worth it

Don't the kids have much to do with your dogs Tomo?

My pup and little girl are inseparable...

A96A35C8-6CE2-43C1-AB04-5062C71C03FF-367

EDF4CB22-C67E-4B45-9D5A-9B7FA17D2864_zps

• Like 2