Pups First On The Lamp

It doesn't help lamping on light nights it's just like daytime hunting to a dog give it a week until the new moons here with a bit of rain and wind and pick a nice squatter far out in the middle of the field make sure the dog see's as if you pass one running for cover the dog will be all hyped up and run to where it last seen it run ATB BB

I do things opposite to this. I don't want squatters. A pup simply cannot see them, they don't always see them when they jump either. Squatters only get the pup confused and the owner angry. I like to find a place that is well walled or fenced and there's rabbits sat up moving about. That way the pup will actually spot the rabbit moving down the beam. Soon the penny will drop.

We all have our own methods but if you lamp a bunny squatting far out then you will have to walk to it and when it finally jumps, and if the pup sees it, then you will be illuminating the rabbits route home. I like to tip the odds in the pups favour as drastically as i can.

JMO of course......JD

post-16-0-22549700-1408573056_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

if you get a squatter in the beam and get between it and it's route home, I tend to find they jump up in a panic and head away from the the lamp in a state of non direction either running and jinking and going really nowhere or sometimes even travelling a short distance and then clamping back down again by then the dogs got sight of them. Regardless of how you do it though, I find it's how YOU work the lamp in those early stages not how the dog runs it. :thumbs: