Rabbit Cages, Bloody Mice

Well I have had half dozen cage traps out for over a week now,still no rabbit. The carrot pieces I put out keep disappearing. Put a wildlife camera out over night

Mice seen raiding all the carrots and hiding in the flowerbeds.

Are the mice working in partnership with the rabbits, to ensure they do not get caught (seems like it)

I now try and "fix" the carrots in place, which stops the instant removal.

Abnyone else got experience of this?

Thinking of getting fresh kill rabbits and putting the "wee" in/arpound trap to see if that helps encourage the rabs in?

I think I read on a post by nog, that the placement of the trap is crucial. If I remember correctly the best place for the trap was at the side of a run at 90 degrees to the run. I might have just imagined it, but I am sure that was his advice.

Edited to add: I found the thread, I must have imagined it :laugh:

Link

TC

Edited by tiercel

There really isn't any need to fix pieces of carrot or deposit urine into a cage.....,

Just slice your carrot lengthways, bait the cages and feed the area with a few small offerings...

To have mice take the bait is normal but you really need to move the cages to a different location.,

Keep baiting, keep feeding and ( if there hungry enough ) the rabbits will soon find themselves caught.

Atb

I know this post isn't about bait but I find apples really good for cageing rabbits.

I've also tied bait to the top of the cage, dangling about two inch down so the mice can't teach it from the top of the bottom.