Collie Greyhounds

Hi all, I was thinking about getting a 3/4 collie greyhound for lamping, but I don't know what they are like! How easy are they to train? What's their temperament like? And how easy are they to train for the lamp? Any pics and info considered,

George

wouldn't be my choice for a lamp dog, they can throw quite tall, mind i suppose it

depends what your lamping. easy enough to train,not that you need be a canine

genius for the lamp if it's a collie x your after a 3/8 would be a better bet in my

opinion but others may disagree most crosses will turn there hand to the lamp

& the more work it gets the better it'll get

Am I reading right you are considering a 3/4 collie, 1/4 greyhound? Would be very collie like so easy to train with kindness and retrieving should come naturally.

Would need a lot of stock breaking as collies are very sheep focused.

But should be a good and useful lamp dog for rabbits.

My bitch is bearded collie x greyhound, just shy of 25" the thing I've found with her is you can't shout, you have to take the role of quiet dominance or they don't respond well (this was shown in 2 of my mates that did runners after he balled them out). The 2nd is the collie stalk, if you can get it out of that habit happy days! They can be a little later in maturing in some breed lines (could be due to a lot of line bred collies)

They are quite intelligent dogs and will work their hearts out (then again a lot of lurchers will), mine I stick to ferreting and end of light running( which suits me more than my dog ), and she's become very good at catching pheasants etc. although she can find you Charlie in the pitch black. A lot of my mates have them and they work very well day n night all quarry, it's all down to personal preference and again you only get out of the dog what you put in.

Edited by Fennster16