Training A Lurcher

ive been offered a lurcher pup and was just wondering if i would train him/her like any other dog like all the obedience, recall, etc before trying to hunt also can you play with a working dog and can you keep them indoors cheers

Treat the dog like any other dog, and concentrate on getting a good bond. Play with the pup like you would any puppy. You've got months and months before even thinking about hunting, and the more places you take your pup, the more you mess about with it, the more confident and willing it will be. The prey drive, which makes a dog chase, is very small in a pup, but increases as it gets older. The time to worry about hunting is when the pup is 8-10 months old, and by the sounds of it, you will need many months so you can both learn together how to make a good team.

• Like 3

Mine stay in the house mate and as far as training goes it's the same as any other dog I start mine off as pups on the retrieve with a pair of rolled up socks then to a small ball then progress to a rabbit dummy plenty of praise, why would you not play with it at the end of the day it's a dog you have to bond with it if you want it to work for you as for hunting you are only bringing out the natural instinct I have a collie x and it's been the easiest dog I have ever had to train.

Plenty of praise never loss your rag never shout at them if you can get hold of a DVD called purdys progress good luck with your pup.

• Like 4

Yes to all, but to be honest if you have to ask those questions you may be better reading as much as you can before getting a dog

yeah pal that's what I'm going to be doing, just when i was younger my mate had lurchers and he wouldn't let anyone pet them and he never played with them told me that there dogs not pets

ive got a terrier cross and ive trained her from when she was about 13 months old but never worked her till near the end of last season

she found me a couple of sets but when she sees a rabbit in the woods she'll chase after it then when i call her it takes like ten minutes to get her to come back when in at home or just in the park she comes straight back thanks everyone for your comments