How old do they get

Suppose this is a bit like how long is a bit of string :hmm:

I have an ex racer, well im not so sure about what she did, probably not a lot :D she has always been a very nervous dog, had her 6yrs and took a year before she was happy letting my hubby touch her, now she is a big sook and not so bad.

She is 13 nearly and her back end is starting to get weak, she is a good age and I hope to have her a while yet, but if her back end goes too much it wouldnt be fair keeping her struggling on :no: so we are watching her

A lot of folks have told me she is old for an ex racer as they dont live long but im not so sure :hmm:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=d-u6N5&a...mp;x=18&y=2

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Ditch_Shitter

The 'Brighton' kennels, last I heard, had a couple of retired Dogs, still living their accustomed lives, at twelve years old. So, yeppers; Grey's seem to live just as long as any other Dogs, given half the chance.

Thirteen is, of course, a 'Good' age for any Dog. But she's only 'Getting on'. Bloody brilliant that people are willing to give these former teenagers such proper and contented retirements! :clapper: I Salute ye all! :notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...

mine sertainly wouldnt have died with under feeding my small bitch had a pint of milk/glucose mix with three cup's of cerial in the morning and 3 cups of buiscuts a pound and a half of beef and two brown rolls and she wasnt heavy running once a week and walking 3 walks a day 2 30mins and an hour one at nite . if you dont feed them right they wont run right keep them lean keep them keen aint how you do it with a decent racing greyhound .

i know and old woman with a 14 year old big blue ex racing dog he is still a happy chap and even has an odd run about now and againe i love seing her out with him the dogs a credit to her . im sure yours will last another few years yet .

Correct me if im wrong, but i think it might have something to do with food?? underfed to be lighter etc.. im not sure at all though, id also like to know.

No truth in that whatsoever. Quite a high percentage of folk that take on retired racers are surprised at the ammount of food they can put away & you get the odd person that thinks they should be fed low rations as they "should look skinny" :doh:

Given the chance of a life after racing & barring accidents they live to a good age, most of mine have gone between the ages of twelve to fifteen.

I'm constantly getting comments about my dogs looking underweight from ill informed people who don't know the breed. When I had my new lad microchipped last week the vet commented on how well he looked.

My bitch is only 8 and still has plenty of life in her yet i'm sure, i've known them to live to around 12/13 and sometimes older.