The Perfect Snare Peg

Hi Guys :D

What would the perfect sized snare peg be i.e Lengh and width and how far down the hole should be ?

Thanks Mark B)

:hmm: have you seen the snare bit on here mark by glen waters ?no then have a look mate it might help you out

Guest Ditch_Shitter

It's a little bit like asking, " How long's a piece of string? " really, mate. Sandy soil would need a longer, deeper peg than would turf over loam.

About six inches always suited me ~ not that I honestly ever measured one. Ash is probably the best wood out there for it. Though off cuts of hardwood window frames may be easier come by, depending on ye situation?

I always drilled the hole about an inch from the top. Worked for me.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Wilf; I honestly wouldn't know about the Hoops, mate. They're a bit after my time.

But, having now seen them, I get ye point and s'pose they could well make a better alternative.

it doesnt say anything about the size of the peg or where the hole should be drilled in the peg thanks mark

i make my pegs at eight inches mark.

they suite soft and hard ground then.but for soft plough,or sand i would say your better off with hopes

but mind you i have never used or had the need to use them.

i also make my tealers longer than most,to suit long grass,but can be put on an angle for standard runs .

Hi Guys :D

What would the perfect sized snare peg be i.e Lengh and width and how far down the hole should be ?

Thanks Mark B)

The best size is the size that suits your ground. Heavy ground about 8". Lighter ground about 10". You can always re-sharpen a long peg if it breaks on the tip, you cant always do this with a short peg, as it will be too short when resharpened. You dont have to knock your pegs straight down into the ground if you are using your long pegs on heavy ground you can knock them in at an angle. Drill your hole in the peg about an inch to an inch and a quarter from the top. The best wood to use is elderberry. Cut some nice pieces 3-4 inch across, whatever lenght you need ,between any knots in the wood. Split down with a big knife or bill hook, point not too sharp as the finer the point the more they break. Shave the edges off the top of the peg, this will stop the top of the peg from splitting when hammering. Leave pegs now to dry out and season in a dry but well ventilated place. When seasoned drill hole.This wood is as tough as ash, but lighter.

Good snaring

Master Hunter