Yes very true as said above, if you put target they assume you will want to do genuine target range work with a club, put in for vermin and pest control ...the feo will know you will need to zero at a range or even on the land that you have permission on.

Edited by celticrusader

Its not lying if he has genuine intentions to shoot rabbit or foxes as stated but lacks the knowledge to know the information that others do know, I can also see how this can be misconstrewed as someone who is looking for any excuse to own a firearm aswell.

It is a bit like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I too get a great deal of pleasure from shooting targets but have no interest in joining a club and shooting competitively.

In reality I use up more bullets shooting at targets than I do shooting at rabbits and other vermin but I consider it to be essential practice and a necessary part of my "reason" which is control of vermin.

My advice to Alex is either to join a club and follow the conventional target shooting route or be rather more serious about vermin control as the reason for requiring a firearm and find someone with a rabbit problem who will allow him to shoot on their land and is prepared to give him that permission in writing.

If the land that Alex already has is appropriate for shooting, and most importantly can be passed by the police for his calibre, then he will be able to use it for zeroing. In my view, and I am sure it is a reasonable view that would stand up in court, zeroing includes a certain amount of practice on targets to determine the bullet trajectory at different distances. That is the only way to ensure humane vermin control.

Failing that, a good quality sub 12ft lb air rifle is a serious piece of kit that can be used for target shooting at quite challenging distances (60 yards) and without the hassle of a licence. My sub 12ft lb Rapid MkII .177 is fabulous.

Yes very true guys, I'm always taking time out for a range day here and there not just for zeroing but its practice that's paramount for marksmanship principles and general gun etiquette that you'll learn and in turn helps build knowledge and confidence within the sport/hobby however you refur to it.

Its not lying if he has genuine intentions to shoot rabbit or foxes as stated but lacks the knowledge to know the information that others do know, I can also see how this can be misconstrewed as someone who is looking for any excuse to own a firearm aswell.

The trouble is he's made a post using a real name (probably his own) where he states he doesn't have fox or rabbit on his permission. The FEOs use social media and forums like this to check up on applicants (first time and renewals) and this wouldn't help his application at all.

OP - join a club, ride out your probation and then request the target shooting. You never know, it could be more fun than you expect.