I don't know if you have seen this before as i took a while ago... i was feeding a pair nesting in the garden and i could not believe how many mealworm they can go through while feeding young.. :D

IMG_1119_zps1d3abedf.jpg

• Like 5

Mad f**kers! What is it about Stabba? :laugh:

Millet; They're voracious, full stop, mate! This is what I try to drum into all my cattle rearing neighbours. I really must try to pin down some scientific figure for the weight of leatherjackets an average pair, on pasture, will put away per season.

Chuck in the weight of grass a leatherjacket destroys, in the space of that season? Factor that by the average number of young a pair of starlings rear in a season? D'you know; We could quite probably come up with an actual, monetary value, per bird, to stock farmers!

Imagine that? Being able to say, eg. " Each starling on your land will save you a fivers worth of grazing, per year. A pair will provide an average of ten more birds, per year. I can put up twenty boxes in your yard. My boxes are good for an average of five years. More, if sited under cover.

You do the figures, farmer ..... " :yes:

• Like 3

The same goes for Rook's Pete they must put there fare share of wire worm's/chafer grub and leather jacket's away but it does not stop the annual slaughter of young bird's just out of the nest every year.. i fooking hate it... :cray:

• Like 4

The same goes for Rook's Pete they must put there fare share of wire worm's/chafer grub and leather jacket's away but it does not stop the annual slaughter of young bird's just out of the nest every year.. i fooking hate it... :cray:

Rooks, I had a rook once when I was a kid, but thats another story.

Yeah I hate that also millet.

There's a blackbirds nest in the garden, soon as I hear that bloody magpie im straight there waving and clapping like a mad man lol

Got a blackie's nest outside my back door. Only actually located it yesterday. Had to take all of five steps and peer in at the exact spot I've watched the adults enter the hedge since seemingly for ever.

Bummer is, they're too old to ring now. I mean, I can ring them at any age. Not confined to those few, vital days for a Closed Ring. But, they'd 'explode' now. Put my hand amongst them and they'd be everywhere! F**k that!

No. I'll leave them alone, to fledge naturally. Have to keep this bloody Jack Russell of mine in though. Till they're able to fly out of that little shits grasp!

• Like 2