Forced Training?!

Force fetch? I do it. It depends what you expect from your dog. The concept is the same as any other training. You apply pressure to compel the dog to act. (As the saying goes what the learn naturally they forget naturally.) How much pressure depends on the dog. German dogs that tend to be hard headed require more than say a Vizla.

If you are thinking about giving it a try. I'd read everything I could on the various methods pick one and stick to it. Having an experienced handler oversee your training would be a great benefit.

I hope this helps.

This is a North American method of making/forcing a dog to retrieve ... favoured by many over there. Just nurture your pup's own natural ability to retrieve by making it all fun :thumbs:

Jangles

Think you will find the method originated in Germany with Konrad Most happy to be proved wrong though :thumbs:

• Like 1

This is a North American method of making/forcing a dog to retrieve ... favoured by many over there. Just nurture your pup's own natural ability to retrieve by making it all fun :thumbs:

Jangles

Think you will find the method originated in Germany with Konrad Most happy to be proved wrong though :thumbs:

I thought the English invented it.

I was totally against the concept til I saw the positive results at the local retriever club. The dogs that had been properly conditioned and finished loved their retrieving and no more dropped birds at water edge or just out of handler reach. Also, reduced refusals on tough blind retrieves were greatly reduced.

You don't have to be brutal to get a conditioned retrieve, just more patient (stubborn?) than the dog and don't lose your temper. Reward good progress, and be consistent.

It is no different than sit and stay, if the dog knows he has to do it every time told, not just when he wants to do it, he will be a happy partner. Same with his retrieve and hold.

Edited by badger