rifle men

Guest whitser

Guest whitser

been talking to alot of lads recently who have said that its getting harder to get foxes with hounds terriers and lurchers due to the amount getting shot by lads with rifles and lamp. one man told of a lad who's shot hundreds in the last couple of years. now im not knocking any ones sport and i know foxes need shooting but i dont think going out and killing 8,9,10 in a night does anyone any favours.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whistler i have a rifle and you can do some damage with them i havent shot anything with mine for over a year was suppost to of taken it out last night but opted to take the dog instead i wont knock anyone for shooting foxes as i have shot a fair few over the years but its no sport bang and its dead but with the ban over here we have no choice now :whistling:

Depends on what you want. I use both and you'll be suprised how much permission you get. The dogs for control all year and rifle for the problems at lambing time and so on, it's sometimes neccessary to take lots in a night. What I have noticed is that as I've got better with the dogs the rifle is coming out less and less... :thumbs:

been talking to alot of lads recently who have said that its getting harder to get foxes with hounds terriers and lurchers due to the amount getting shot by lads with rifles and lamp. one man told of a lad who's shot hundreds in the last couple of years. now im not knocking any ones sport and i know foxes need shooting but i dont think going out and killing 8,9,10 in a night does anyone any favours.

try telling that to a sheep farmer :icon_eek:

Guest baldie

Aye, rifles shoot foxes all by them selves dont they?

Try sorting out all the lamp shy foxes we,ve had to do, over the years, that have been run, and educated by poaching feckers with inadequate dogs.......all the landowners love them.......not.

Guest JohnGalway

Here's my two cents...

About permission, some lads who shoot and some lads who run dogs will wander from where they're "supposed" to be when the situation at home doesn't suit. That's just the individual, not their type of sport, or control.

About shyness, shooters miss at times, dogs don't catch at times. Both will educate a fox.

A lad with a firearm getting X amount of foxes in a night will think he's a great shot, maybe rightly so. A lad with a dog that gets X amount of foxes in a night will think he's got a great dog!

It's not the type of sport or control, it's the person doing it.

That will affect different areas in different ways. Say in areas where mainly crops are grown, fox is probably the farmers friend and any lamping there would be considered sport surely. Then in areas, like where I live, sheep outnumber the midges so foxy is no friend of the farmer and any foxing is for control.

In my opinion, it's the person having the sport or doing the control, not the way in which they do it.

That said, I'm off out later to bag 27 foxes :victory: not saying how! :toast::bye:

Edited by JohnGalway
Guest baldie

Ban all guns i say.. and the sooner the better :wallbash::angry:

Oh aye, and who,s side are you on?

They said that about hunting with dogs, and look what happened.

One thing that grips my shit, is pious so called dogmen, spouting off about people shooting foxes, as if all foxes belong to them.....well they f*****g well dont. They belong to who has the permission, or who can be arsed to get them.

Before i,m jumped on, i have a lurcher, and hunted hounds for years, i now mainly shoot them, because no one wants a dog on anymore, after the ban.

Dont decry another mans sport, or livelyhood [i,m a gunsmith] because you dont understand, or agree with it.

Guest little_lloyd

Personly on my patch i could not be fussed what method was used to take out any foxes be it Shot or ran with a lurcher aslong as its out my and my birds way is my main concern :victory:

Much funner to run them tho :whistling:

Ban all guns i say.. and the sooner the better :wallbash::angry: (quote)

your one supid tit :thumbdown:

all taken by an evil rifle :feck:

IMG_0273.jpg

not a bad bit of shooting then, each to there own, i always took them with the lurchers pre ban and although never got that amount in a night (came pretty close though) would do that amount weekly,quite regular.

imo shooters do kill a lot of foxes and so they should, they should'nt be missing many if they know what there doing, but a decent lurcher can take a very large number throughout the season, and so it should to be classed as a proper fox dog.

everybody seems to blame each other for the lack of quarry in an area, for example: the lurcherman has a shit night so he blames the shooter because he went out and shot five foxes during the week, but if the lurcherman went out and killed five foxes he would'nt give a shit about anyone else either would he, but you guessed it the shooter would then be complaining about him.

first come, first served i say, you've got to put the hours in to get the results, foxes wont come looking for you.but you've got to get out to to find them, theres no point sitting at home complaining when you could be out looking.

foxes are a very clever animal but they can be further educated by amateurs, whether they are shooters, or dog men/women.