Plummer Terriers

thinking of getting a plummer terrier for bushing and beating thick cover/hedge rows. who uses plummers? where is the best place to find a decent puppy as they dont seem to be about on your usual purchase sites (pre loved). also peoples thoughts on the breed pros / cons. thanks

I went for one, I think because that part of me that wants something a bit different. I've got a pup with plummer in it.

I don't think there is much in it between different terrier breeds besides coat.

There are people who work them and they do well, it's some reading on the plummer threads if you do a search at the top.

For me I was always just after a larger terrier to cover ground.

i work a plummer Dan. and she is streets ahead of any of the other terriers ive kept as a bushing /ratting/rabbitting/ferretting/shooting.partner. there is just no comparison. :thumbs: . they are same as any other breed. good and bad. i have another bitch but she isnt in the same league. i can speak with experience of a veriaty of breeds and if you get a good one and spend time with it. you wont look back.

• Like 2

Do like plummers! That's why I'm so interested ! I'd just like to find a pup from working stock! I'm going to have to take on two terriers. One for digging and a bushing dog! Not gojng to take the risk of using one for both jobs!!! Brilliant pictures by the way clean spade

Do like plummers! That's why I'm so interested ! I'd just like to find a pup from working stock! I'm going to have to take on two terriers. One for digging and a bushing dog! Not gojng to take the risk of using one for both jobs!!! Brilliant pictures by the way clean spade

a well bred russell or crossbred will do what you want as will most terriers.. but if your set on a plummer i cant stress enough how important it is to choose wisely the stock you get your pup from. the plummer terrier club of great britain are under new management and enourage all legal terrierwork. they have a facebook page so maybe have a look on there.i also like many plummer owners keep more than one type of terrier. good luck in whatever your choice

ask to see the parents working . if the owners of them arnt willing then walk away without a pup. and if you dont feel they are to the standard your looking for once seen out then dont buy one. a good plummer is hard to find. but a good plummer is hard to better at what your looking for. so may be worth the effort

post-2078-0-30719300-1398595231.jpg

Edited by Cleanspade
  • Like 1

sorry. double post

Edited by Cleanspade

Brilliant once again clean spade! I'm not going to rush into finding my self a Plummer! I want one from good working stock, I will go onto the page you mentioned and hope they've got something to suit my needs! I really do like the breed and would prefer to find a terrier rather than have to get a spaniel! Not a great lover of spaniels for some reason! I appreciate there abilities but there just to hyper for my liking! I Like a steady approach from a dog. Ino a lot of spaniel lovers will probably hunt me down for this because there spaniel is steady however that's my opinion!

I've seen three Plummers work on a number of occasions. Two of them dogs both dog aggressive, saw one grab a pup that tried to push past on the lead. Same dog was possessive over game and the other dog wasn't good with any other dog near holes..Before you say "well that's terriers" the third bitch that I knew went to a pet home as it was reluctant to enter dense cover.

Unlucky I may have been but I only said "in my opinion."

I glad you've got a good'en Cleanspade.

Also the man was looking for a bushing dog and that it would be used on beats. To me a Spaniel springs to mind :yes:.

I've seen three Plummers work on a number of occasions. Two of them dogs both dog aggressive, saw one grab a pup that tried to push past on the lead. Same dog was possessive over game and the other dog wasn't good with any other dog near holes..Before you say "well that's terriers" the third bitch that I knew went to a pet home as it was reluctant to enter dense cover.

Unlucky I may have been but I only said "in my opinion."

I glad you've got a good'en Cleanspade.

Also the man was looking for a bushing dog and that it would be used on beats. To me a Spaniel springs to mind :yes:.

sadly these traits are all to common in the breed.. one of mine is dog aggressive . but there are some decent lines. and to be fair a lot of plummers are hunted in large packs so this couldnt be tolerated . ive kept some very dog aggressive russells. patts are noted for producing these traits also but they arnt all bad. plummers arnt a long way off the mixed breeding they started with and are very varied. all the best

• 4 months later...

seen 6-7 plummers, all bar one were unless but i have seen several on film that look lively, so the jury is still out for me.

i was disappointed that none i saw shown any beagle traits, they hunt like Russel's or any other terrier.

beware new terrier breeds rarely nowt new about them...just look a bit differ from the last new one

kev-medlock crew.