advice needed.....

jrb

Guest shaheen

Does he scream when your not there?

a couple of suggestions to be going on with for now( some of which you may already do ) :

a non fixed time for feeding:

main meal from a dummy or real rabbit to break the provider link:

resite his weathering place so he doesnt see the same old view and general change of scenery:

frequent visit with no bechins given:

some of these may help him to identify himself as a Harris Hawk a little more its going to be a little awkward for you at this point in training him:

as he becomes more independant and mature i suspect it will lessen ,and getting him entered will certainly help as asap!!!, if it gets worse then you may need to lend him out to another austringer for a while:

How old was he when you got him?

Cheers

Shaheen

Edited by shaheen

You cant give a correct prognosis not seeing the bird but it sounds very much like he is ready for a kill. They can get a bit like immature teenagers all moody and vocal, a succession of kills will mature the bird and quiten it down.

How old was he when you got him?

Cheers

Shaheen

.. he was 18wks, now22 wks. totaly silent untill untill last week after being flown free. I thought it might just be an immaturity thing that may improve when he starts killing, but I didnt want it to get to the point where it would be a problem to stop it......

I reacon once he's start screaming you won't completely stop it, you can reduce it with the methods suggested. You might have to just put up with it until his second season when his voice will deepen and he'll sound like just another one of them crows. Rather than screaming think of it as calling.

my male never made a sound last season.but iheard him calling today and hes still 2 1/2 ounces over his flying weight not his hunting weight i think some harrises tend to get a strong bond with you tride him on a creance just in case it might be his weight he flew to me but very slow still neads weight taking down hope he dont start calling to much