Cz452 .22Lr

I picked 100 Winchesters up this morning. In hindsight I should have gone for 50 Winchesters and 50 Eley but I was that taken aback by how much cheaper they were than HMR rounds I said I'd have two boxes! Dropping my daughter off at her gran's this aft, should be out by 3pm.

Thinking of giving the barrel a good clean out before I use it

Edited by Elliott

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any round and any calibre can ricochet, frankly I get sick of hearing all this about the .22lr, in many cases regurgitated I'm sure by someone who read something. (I'm not pointing any fingers here)

I never understand this phrase, rifle/calibres/ammo are tools, some are better suited to some land/distances/quarry than others, like all tools, when you do a job you chose the best suited for that jo

Back home, removed the stock, oily rag over the metal parts and the stock. Scoped up with my Hawke Frontier 3-9x40 and pinched the bipod and SAK mod off my HMR ready for testing tomorrow. Pretty happy

I never clean the .22 mate their isnt alot of people that do to be honest. They run alot better well fouled imo

Sorry, but I can't run with that.

First thing I would do with any gun new to me, (either brand new or used) is clean/oil it thoroughly!

Without doubt my .22lr's get cleaned the least of all my rifles, but that is because they are dedicated sub sonic tools, with 100% lead ammo, no cooper coats or HV. That being the case there isn't the greatest of issues, the ammo is slow, lead is soft and the propellant crud is just dirty. Just the same they get a thorough clean as required, great lumps are visible down the barrel, dirt gathers round the breech and bolt, and the claws slowly clog up with the stuff, moderators also get in a right state if you don't attend to them! If you run a semi .22 cleaning is strongly advisable.

My barrels are good and true, dirty barrels do not shoot as well as clean ones, out in the field with a .22lr and subs the difference may not always be that noticeable, or important, but if your barrel is good and true it will shoot better clean.

.........and it doesn't take 50 fouling shots to shoot straight after a clean...if you clean it properly!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Well, I through 100 rounds downrange at 50 yards today

The Remingtons seem considerably better than the Winchesters creating a group slightly bigger than a 5p compared the the 1" group of the Winchesters.

A few pulled shots due to the trigger. Certainly could do with a trigger kit or weaker spring so that's next on the list.

All in all I'm pretty impressed. Having a walk over the fields tonight to see how it performs. Really need to get to grips with calibrating mil dots again

Edited by Elliott

The Remingtons seem considerably better than the Winchesters creating a group slightly bigger than a 5p compared the the 1" group of the Winchesters.

A few pulled shots due to the trigger. Certainly could do with a trigger kit or weaker spring so that's next on the list.

All in all I'm pretty impressed. Having a walk over the fields tonight to see how it performs. Really need to get to grips with calibrating mil dots again

ye of little faith :laugh: cheap and cheerful does not always mean there crap :whistling:

ye of little faith :laugh: cheap and cheerful does not always mean there crap :whistling:

:laugh::thumbs:

Fair enough elliot sorry for the bad advice lol. Glad your all set though trigger kits are really beneficial imo at less than £20 well worth doing

No worries pal, always worth a try just in case. I will try some other ammo on the off chance I find some that's better. Pretty happy with the little .22

If it keeps impressing me I can see mself popping the 1517 in the sales section :whistling:

the main difference between Remington and Winchester comes when shooting live quarry Remington are 38grn and are a harder round than the 40grn Winchester so do not expand the same, but as long as you hit the boiler room or head they perform flawlessly, when despatching wounded livestock i have had Winchesters bounce off the head at 3 feet or less as they expand that rapidly due to there soft composition where as Remington just go right through, when hare shooting once i shot one but when i went to pick it up i found another that i had not seen in the rough behind the first that had also been killed by the same round, but the big difference for me is cost Remington are peanuts compared to Winchesters

the main difference between Remington and Winchester comes when shooting live quarry Remington are 38grn and are a harder round than the 40grn Winchester so do not expand the same, but as long as you hit the boiler room or head they perform flawlessly, when despatching wounded livestock i have had Winchesters bounce off the head at 3 feet or less as they expand that rapidly due to there soft composition where as Remington just go right through, when hare shooting once i shot one but when i went to pick it up i found another that i had not seen in the rough behind the first that had also been killed by the same round, but the big difference for me is cost Remington are peanuts compared to Winchesters

I'm chuffed they seem to work well. How much do you pay for Remingtons?

I'm chuffed they seem to work well. How much do you pay for Remingtons?

6.99 for a box of 100

Hi I have 2 cz 452 one for day one with nv setup on, daytime one zeroed in at 75 yards for daytime shooting and the other at 50 yards for night time , take bunnies up 150 yards daytime but after 100 yards the holdover gets considerable so have to be spot on for head shots you have to know your scope and watch the wind, I use win subs and can knock of 5 or 6 before the others know what is going on , head shots only, body shots often pass through even at distance and boy the can ricochet