dew claws

does anyone know if there is any laws about taking of the dew claws on lurcher pups ? as i have a litter at the moment and want to keep myself right as ive a c**t of a neighbour whod be the first one to bring it up

Unless the law has recently changed it is still legal for the breeder to remove dew claws themselves. I've tried to find an update on the law but can't so I'm assuming it is still legal for a lay person to do it.

I never could understand why docking is illegal and not dew clawing.

does anyone know if there is any laws about taking of the dew claws on lurcher pups ? as i have a litter at the moment and want to keep myself right as ive a c**t of a neighbour whod be the first one to bring it up

Gotta be done before three days old I believe! :yes:

Don't tell that neighbour, he'll never know.. :thumbs:

Edited by MikeTheDog

to be honest mate why do you want to take them off.

they suffer more injurys to thier toes than dew claws.

i dont see the point in it myselfe

For starters they can move dew claws independantly, a bit like thumbs: watch a dog chewing a big bone that it needs to hold down, I've seen my dogs move the dew claw to get a better grip on the bone.

They also use them to help when cornering at speed: only had one dog have problems with dew claws. It depends how big they are and how much they stick out: some dogs have hardly any dew claw and others have big pads with the dew claws stuck on the end of them.

One of my old coursing dogs always used to come back with grass and muck wedged under her dew claws from turning hard, but I can't say that I've noticed dogs without dew claws having a problem turning either.

Edited by skycat
For starters they can move dew claws independantly, a bit like thumbs: watch a dog chewing a big bone that it needs to hold down, I've seen my dogs move the dew claw to get a better grip on the bone.

They also use them to help when cornering at speed: only had one dog have problems with dew claws. It depends how big they are and how much they stick out: some dogs have hardly any dew claw and others have big pads with the dew claws stuck on the end of them.

One of my old coursing dogs always used to come back with grass and muck wedged under her dew claws from turning hard, but I can't say that I've noticed dogs without dew claws having a problem turning either.

a good view on it mate and your wright . whay you say.

but that aint the answear im looking for.

so come on,what are due claws for and why do dogs have them.

:blink::blink:
dew claws help a dog gain traction removal of a tight dew can result in injury to the remainig bone . i know some of the old school terriermen like to leave them on to aid grip when digging on i read somewhere a story of a terrier useing the dew claw to help it climb from rocks . and then thiers the bone and prey side of it who takes the dew claws off of wolfs?