I just picked up a Hawke HK3070, which is a 3-12 x 50 (3-12 times magnification, 50 mm front lens), adjustable objective (ie you can focus it so the image is clear and sharp), illuminated reticle, so you can shoot when the light fades down and it came with a set out mounts too, they cost about £80 normally.

that sort of price you are looking at the HAWKE or NIKKO STIRLING ranges really....I have one of each, and they are fine for me, I'm sure some of the purists on here won't like them, but beggers can't be choosers haha.

Well "mr toejam" ( every time I see you name I laugh, again epic choice). I've only shot a few rounds throu it in my garden. But I've found it very comfy to hold. Not to heavy but enough to stop it flying all over when it's fired. It's the vc model with mod and it's pretty quiet. Like I said I need a decent scope for it. But I'm over the moon with it. Need to get some new glass then up the range to zero it. And after all that I need a new permission too put it to real use. ?

Had a look through a friends Nikko Sterling 6 - 40 fixed mag scope the other day and have to say, for £30.00 it was brilliant! I have a Richter Optik 3-9X40 on my HW77 and previously on my BSA R10 and again, for under £50.00 it is a real winner and handles low light very well.

Just found this as well: http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Nikko_Stirling_Mountmaster_AO_Illuminated_3-9x50_Rifle_Scope# about £50.00

I have the Hawke sport had 3-9x50 basic no ir or ao and it's fine night and day. I also have the mount master 4-12x50 ir ao. The scope a fine, the ir is shite!! You can see the led and it's too bright even on the lowest setting. I don't mind using it for normal but if you want ir, go hawke.