A Goat Foray

2014-03-17103306_zps245dce7c.jpg

phone call at 7.30 a.m. sunday morn,it just so happened I was in the van with the son and his mate who is a soldier in the irish army,hes been in a few shooting competitions with a variety of guns,and hes ''supposed'' to be a fair oul shot.We were heading for the hallowed hills to see how the goats were and if we saw a few to be taken we would,i explained to the 2 lads that under no circumstances were the nannys to be shot as they all at this point had kids afoot and they were the same size as chiwawas and i didnt want any unecessary acts of stupidity.We called in to the farmer and he told us,the day before there was at least 80 of the buggers(his words not mine) in the high field just below the ridges.So with great enthusiasm we set off and I handed the gun to adam.We were walking for a fair bit when the distinctive white forms were seen a long way off,all siting and resting and re digesting their stolen food..

we use the ridges and the tree line and anything we could to stay out of sight,i put it quiet forcibally to adam and kevin,if they get one glance of anything strange or out of place,they are off like the dog in trap one on greyhound racing night.So we snook(gret descriptive word) along and we got to about 100 yards of the mob.we sat for a few minutes debating which one should be taken out,Not a bloody billy in sight,I couldnt believe it.all nannys with kids in tow.so Adam asked about the front left kid.....to small I said.....the I spotted a nice bigish kid,he was born a bit earlier than his co horts and I pointed him out to adam.there were about 15 to 20 nannys and a sprinkling of kids all over the place.Still relaxed and calm,We agreed the one straight centre and turned side ways to us was the ''KIDDIE''.......... if you pardon the pun,so adam lifted the gun and got a resting spot and with a loud thud,the job was done.the mob rose like wild fire and took off at a rate of knots which would have to be seen to be believed and dissapeard into the adjoining forestry.We all rose and proceeded to the fallen kid,and it was just perfect for the table. We went off again in a different direction in the hope of seeing a lone billy but we saw nothing much else after that.so.I am siting here after eating the saddle of the kid we shot and it was absolutely delicious,cooked in olive oil and accomplimented with carrots and baby potatoes and parsnip.if my missus was as adventurious in the bedroom as she is in the kitchen id have her on the game lol.

on adifferent tangent,the ammount of fallen trees up in the hills from the recent storms has to be seen to be believed,trees down everywhere.pity theres no way of geting them down other than helicopter.

2014-03-17105042_zpsd50788e1.jpg

• Like 6

note the proper''hunting attire''....the little bollix refuses to wear anything else but track suit and sports tops,grrr!!!

He would swift change his mind if you REFUSED to take him wearing trackies .........

couldnt be creating tension in the camp socks,hes my sole lurcher partner,lol..luckily the farmers know him well and know hes a polite respectfull lad .....THAT WEARS TRACKIES OUT THE BLOODY HILLS :laugh: