Ferret Keeping

Out today with a pal off here trying to get his youngish dog onto some game as he's recently moved down this way and hasnt got much land. We got out and managed to put one out after his dog gave a strong mark on a hole. dog caught it.

Was well chuffed as I dont have ferrets so often miss out on alot of the bunnies on this permission, well now it's got me wanting to get a ferret or 2 myself :thumbs:

So just wondering about how hard / easy it is really ?

Few things I wonder about,

how often do they bite etc ?

how often do you get a ferret lying up n not coming back out ?

How much time and care does a ferret need a day / week ?

cheers - Lloyd

Glad you enjoyed your day! As far as keeping ferrets they are as easy as any other pet to keep imo,ive kept ferrets myself over 30years and bred for about 20 years.

Ok il have a go at some of your questions:

1. Never if at all possible keep ferrets alone they dont do well.Get at least a pair.

2.They need a dry and draught free home,preferably with some kind of run.Ferrets cope with the cold quite well but not heat and/or draughts.

3.Clean and fresh water should be avaiable 24/7 You can feed dry food, meat,(fish and raw eggs)in small amounts say once a week.

4.If you have never kept ferrets then get young kits in at about 8-10 weeks.Pick them up daily as much as possible,talk to them feed them by hand give them toys,rocks,trees etc to keep them amused.Put them down in the garden let them run about ,old pipes etc are good for getting them used to being picked up out of holes whilst hunting.I have never had a serious bite from one of my ferrets,a few nips yes but not bites.The trick is get them young treat them well and handle handle handle!!

5.I dont have ferrets that lie up,i have ferrets that will block or kill rabbits in stops and stay,thats when your locator is handy, in general a quick 2-3 ft dig finds rabbit/s and ferret then carry on! you can seriously limit the amount of these you get with common sense, approach quiet, net up quiet, NO SMOKING, limit talking and avoid ferreting if you know young are about etc etc etc.

As far as time is concerned the first 6 months take a lot, imo the most important time in your relationship HANDLE,HANDLE,HANDLE.

Once you have healthy good tempered ferrets you can if you wish cut this down but that first 6 months is gonna determine the type of adult ferrets your get.

Time, as in general care depends alot on your set up, personaly water and food daily 5 mins tops.I clean the shavings/poo corner every other day takes about another 5 mins.Once a week i have total clean out and jet wash run maybe 15-20 mins.

All the above has served me well, it is my opinion and others will have thiers but as a genral rule its not rocket science lol

Good luck

• Like 6

It's easy to do basically; tricky to master, the key is to just get out there and make mistakes.

Kits are 'nippy' like puppies are and there teeth are like needles.. After a short period of intense handling that stops (just like a puppy)

It depends on the ferret and the frequency of how often you go. I go once a week and am pretty amateurish and it is a rare occurrence with me.

I work shifts so my care is a little sporadic. I clean out the sh*t before and after work regardless and feed them twice a day. I clean the cage out thoroughly every 6-8 days. I deflea/detick drop and trim nails monthly on payday. I get my ferrets out the cage for a good proper play for a few hours about every 2-3 days (feel awful it's not everyday, but shift work and kids makes it difficult) and work them twice in a 10 day period, usually a bit more frequently than once a week. So with the handling that's usually 2/3hours playing with them or working every other day. Because of the shifts; on one set I do I don't do anything except feed and clean them out for 3 days but then handle them and work them every day for 4.... Shifts suck.

Edited by Nick3439

Try to get in touch with somebody local to you mate and ask them to help you your better asking questions as you see something happening , rather than read about it in a book

Try to get in touch with somebody local to you mate and ask them to help you your better asking questions as you see something happening , rather than read about it in a book

That is best; but I worked it all out on my own...

That is best; but I worked it all out on my own...

Aye that's the best option but there's a lot of guys wary about letting strangers see there stuff and the layout of there yard

• Like 2

im local mate only in bridgend. pm me and i can show you the crack. not breeding any this year but can put you in touch with some mates that are and these will be from workers and well handled.

Generous offer that mate :yes: well done.

im local mate only in bridgend. pm me and i can show you the crack. not breeding any this year but can put you in touch with some mates that are and these will be from workers and well handled.

PM sent