Rocking Robins ....!

:icon_eek: Before I'd ever even stood beside a real, live mist net, ye could have put a gun to my head and my last words would have, confidently, been that " Five or six great tits visit here.".

We caught Seventeen of the f**kers that day!

Now, yesterday, using DJH's new type trap, I caught two robins, one after the other. Literally; I processed one. Let it go. Glanced out and saw I had Another one! FFS!

Then, just as I was winding down, there's a robin in the same, permanently positioned trap. I'm like, " F**k this! Do they never learn?! "

Only, guess what? It was a Third bird! :icon_eek: All retraps. That's to say, they had my rings on already.

So, when 'todays' robin turned up, I naturally wondered which of the three musketeers it was.

You've guessed it. This little f**ker was D'Artagnan! And a bird I rung in December 2012 at that!

Whole banquet of food for thought there, surely? This sort of thing just fascinates the shit out of me, quite frankly :yes:

Fireman; This is part of what makes robins so intriguing, to be honest; They f**k with our heads! Never Trust A Robin! :D

I have one, has a territory around my front gate. He comes under the gate but seems to live to the west.

Then, it seems, there's one that lives to his east. I wonder if this is the one that holds the horse pen, further east? They sort of face off, on the track which seems to define their borders.

Behind this place ~ where I do most of my trapping ~ I tend to assume I have another robins territory. Probably centred around the feeders / traps?

But, then it all breaks down! Because, as said, I've just caught four of the little f**kers! So, that's, potentially, all of them. And a spare one from god knows where. Yet, they all had my ring. So they all 'live' here'.

Worst of it is; I know of no way of sexing winter robins! We age them ~ roughly ~ by the colour and shade of the upper inside of their beak. But, gender? Unless we can get them showing cloacal protuberance or brood patch, during nesting? I know of no other way.

So, ye see? I can't answer your stab at an interloper. Not untill we catch these buggers through the spring and nail their individual genders.

Irritating little f**ks, robins! :laugh: