Dog Started Skipping!!

clueless

Dog started skipping a day or so ago not been to vet yet but a quick scan on the old interweb and its most likely luxating patella. If it is the case anyone got any experience of it own dogs with it ect.. like I said not diagnosed but symptoms sound bang on I've felt around his let0onee and don't feel anything popping off track, sideward or anything but I'm just thinking ahead .

Lots of little Russell's seem very prone to it....back legs...do a little skip or hop when they're walking. One bitch of mine had her back leg pinned by the vet either due to this or something similar. My other bitch damaged her back leg last year and it looked like luxating patella, but quite bad, it would give way and cause her to flop, I gave her plenty of rest and slowly built up her exercise, she's much better now, but it occasionally still catches her out and gives way. The last thing I wanted to do at her age is have her operated on, unless absolutely necessary.

I'm always surprised I haven't heard more about it on here as it is obviously some sort of physical weakness that hasn't been bred out.....and out of the five Russell's I've worked with three have had this........although say this all these five are the more older short legged variety.

Edited by wuyang