I'm a newbie hunter from Long Island, New York. I'm gonna work on my profile after posting here but wanted to give a quick intro as it's required.

I'm a former active duty Marine and Gulf War vet. Happily married to the best woman ever.

I've become more and more interested in hunting as I've grown older. Having grown up in Nassau County, Long Island I was not raised in the culture for a variety of reasons. (Yes, It's as liberal as you think)

I have a good friend from work who got me interested and eventually I purchased his bow. A nice Parker which I have yet to hunt with.

I've gone hunting once a few years ago up in Sullivan County in NY after taking the hunters safety course for firearms and the second course for bow hunting. (Both free in NYS.) Back then I used an old Yugo SKS with a cheap scope. It was all I had at the time. Since that time I've purchased a nice Ruger American Rifle in .308 with a great Nikon scope that I'm very eager to hunt with. Although I did not have any success on that trip to Sullivan; It was a lot of fun being with a group of good people for the weekend and I enjoyed every minute of it. I've purchased my tags every year since and have scouted but unavoidable situations arose and I was unable to get out in the field. I'm not discouraged by it at all.

I enjoy reading, studying and learning what I can about white tail hunting and am eager to harvest my first deer. I even got the outdoor package from my cable provider and it's pretty much all I watch.

I absolutely LOVE the taste of venison and can't wait to fill my freezer for the first time. It will be a moment to remember for the rest of my life.

I have no experience hunting other game but would not hesitate to give it a shot if the opportunity arises.

I'm getting all the gear I need, slowly, one piece at a time. There always seems to be one more thing out there to buy but I don't want to be a catalog type hunter. It's obvious to me that hunting isn't all about gear. Although, good gear can go a long way I'm not buying something unless I find that I need it.

If anyone has any questions for me or I've not given quite enough info about myself please feel free to ask.

I'm eager to take advantage of all the knowledge, info, tips, etc., that I can from this site. I'm sure there is a wealth of valuable information to be had here and I'm looking forward to learning a ton from you all. I'm not accustomed to using forums so I'm taking it easy and getting used to using the site.

Best wishes to all here.

Ernie.