allotments

Guest bullterrier

Sis and i have had one for several years. Its actually two joined together.

Sis now does most of the work, we grow, onions, challots, tetties, marrows, butter squash, pumpkins, peas, raspberries, pears, beetroot, apples, plumbs, blackberriers, blackcurrants, strawberries, gooseberries, leeks, tomatoes, Turnips, peppers, lettuce and greens (sprouts, cabbage etc) for the hens and ducks also on there.

Sis makes loads of jams, jellies, pickles beetroot and onions from the produce.

MOLL.

round our end we call them pens not allotments thats what officials call them. had one now since 76 and kept all manner of beasties from rabbits to sheep and pigs as well as hundreds of hens etc.you need a good gaurd dog now as the gypos openly raid any goodies from you.in the past we would raise a pig and lamb or two and kill them for our own consumption they will fill a freezer or two very cheaply.wouldnt like to be with out it even now just got a few ferrets and pigeons as well as half a dozen chucks.great place to escape from the wife. :yes:

Our allotments have rules about livestock. There are very few around here that allow pigs etc....definately not council run ones.

They get broken into on a regular basis, people dont even bother padlocking the gates anymore, or locking their sheds as they just cut through them.

MOLL.

Guest bullterrier

councils have an obligation to provide allotments if there are three or more people in your area that want a plot and on council allotments your allowed 12 chickens [not a cockrel] and rabbits theres no set amount pigs have not been allowed since foot and mouth :thumbs: ....john

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got one off our Council, £43 p.a for 30m x 10m, which seems ok to me. The best bit is - the council have cleared it with a JCB - The only down side is it's covered with broken class - so 'ive got a few weeks clearing and digging ahead. I fancy getting some hens up there - but the ferrets are staying in the garden here - too many robbing sods about and my lads would gutted if owt happended to them.

Has anyone tried thier hands with Geese or Turkeys? I've heard that their more trouble than their woth - but still fancy a crack at a few.

Sis now does most of the work, we grow, onions, challots, tetties, marrows, butter squash, pumpkins, peas, raspberries, pears, beetroot, apples, plumbs, blackberriers, blackcurrants, strawberries, gooseberries, leeks, tomatoes, Turnips, peppers, lettuce and greens (sprouts, cabbage etc) for the hens and ducks also on there.

MOLL.

Fecking heck Moll! When you say allotment, do you mean massive farm?!

MOLL.

Fecking heck Moll! When you say allotment, do you mean massive farm?!

I dont know how big allotments usually are :blink: But when we got our we had the choice of either one, one side had greenhouse and shed the other had the fruit bushes so we decided to have the both of them...it is a good size, ill ask what it is roughly :D

We dont grow huge numbers of the things like squash, pumpkins. We also have a pond a caravan, 3 hen sheds one duck shed (plus runs) and rose garden in amongst it all :laugh:

MOLL.

Yep, because i dont like pumpkin etc, the greens are grown for sis's precious fowl :rolleyes: and she sells the eggs for money to pay to feed them :blink:

I do get the odd jar of jam if im a good girl and help her pick the rasps, blackcurrants and Bberries :D

Get sick to death of adding tomatoes to everything i eat to use them up :laugh:

I grow my own tetties and peas here.

Its a lovely place to be Ron, and she has done an absolutley brilliant job, puts most of the men to shame ;)

MOLL.

I've just got one off our Council, £43 p.a for 30m x 10m, which seems ok to me. The best bit is - the council have cleared it with a JCB - The only down side is it's covered with broken class - so 'ive got a few weeks clearing and digging ahead. I fancy getting some hens up there - but the ferrets are staying in the garden here - too many robbing sods about and my lads would gutted if owt happended to them.

Has anyone tried thier hands with Geese or Turkeys? I've heard that their more trouble than their woth - but still fancy a crack at a few.

we got six turkeys on the go at present ..Catering whites ..i swear every day you let them out they have grown overnight..We have had them for 8 weeks and getting very big..Up to now they have been a lot less trouble then the chicks..We got Indian game for the table ..white sussex and orpingtons for eggs oh and a couple of warreners

Yep, because i dont like pumpkin etc, the greens are grown for sis's precious fowl :rolleyes: and she sells the eggs for money to pay to feed them :blink:

I do get the odd jar of jam if im a good girl and help her pick the rasps, blackcurrants and Bberries :D

Get sick to death of adding tomatoes to everything i eat to use them up :laugh:

I grow my own tetties and peas here.

Its a lovely place to be Ron, and she has done an absolutley brilliant job, puts most of the men to shame ;)

MOLL.

Well good on her! Give her a pat on the back for me!