I'd been getting a bit fed up of THL recently, my basic haunt of the lurcher section had become a shopping list for dog thieves and locked coursing topics.

I've always had a catapult about, started with the old milbros and naturals which I've always copied the milbro style by drilling through and pulling the rubber through and holding in place with a bit of match or a length of nail. Used to use square rubber and shoe tongues for pouches, then moved on to ready made Barnett tubes although they always perished quicker than the square rubber.

Been busy clearing wind blows after the storm and been cutting some nice naturals so I googled catapults and this section came up.

Never been on this section before and I have to say what a breath of fresh air! Read every topic over the past few days, no bitching, full of positive advise.

Ordered a set of flat bands to try binding on, going to give a set of ears a try as well.

• Like 3

You must have missed the bitching :laugh: ...

Seriously though...

This section is very informative...

Most guys have dogs...keep ferrets... hawks... guns and so on...

And use a catapult because they enjoy them... not because they want to be the best... but because its pretty simple but effective...

Let us know how your naturals turn out...

Goos luck :thumbs: ...

• Like 2

You must have missed the bitching :laugh: ...

Seriously though...

This section is very informative...

Most guys have dogs...keep ferrets... hawks... guns and so on...

And use a catapult because they enjoy them... not because they want to be the best... but because its pretty simple but effective...

Let us know how your naturals turn out...

Goos luck :thumbs: ...

Just trawling through the original catapult thread and I can remember that when it started, interesting to see only 5 years ago and nobody was really using flat bands, bit of bitching back then!

Ordered a few sets of ready made tapered flat bands to try.

Felling some big timber oaks today so been for a wander with my brew and cut 3 nice oak forks, a yew and a holly. Got 3 nice blackthorn and a hazel yesterday.

Always liked a natural so having a play with those first but might have a crack at an ergo someday, see what they feel like to shoot.

I'll get some picks up of the yew I'm playing with at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been getting a bit fed up of THL recently, my basic haunt of the lurcher section had become a shopping list for dog thieves and locked coursing topics.

I've always had a catapult about, started with the old milbros and naturals which I've always copied the milbro style by drilling through and pulling the rubber through and holding in place with a bit of match or a length of nail. Used to use square rubber and shoe tongues for pouches, then moved on to ready made Barnett tubes although they always perished quicker than the square rubber.

Been busy clearing wind blows after the storm and been cutting some nice naturals so I googled catapults and this section came up.

Never been on this section before and I have to say what a breath of fresh air! Read every topic over the past few days, no bitching, full of positive advise.

Ordered a set of flat bands to try binding on, going to give a set of ears a try as well.

hi I have bean in 2 catapults all my live the home made one's are allway's the best I use 6ml square im not the shot in the world but I get sum think every time I go out iv made them from holly hazel black thorn and iv made sum nice one's roe horn's; :victory::victory:

Just stuck a set of flat bands on a natural oak fork. Bound them to go over the top. Have to say they are a revelation, double gold tapered 20 to 15mm. Pulls back far easier than the Barnett bands I've been using for years and I reckon have similar power? Had the first go today up the woods while we had lunch, using [BANNED TEXT] nuts pinched from the workshop and didn't take many goes to be fairly consistatly hitting a bean can at 12 paces. Going to build a catch box for the garden and get my eye in a bit more over a few different distances and angles.

Just stuck a set of flat bands on a natural oak fork. Bound them to go over the top. Have to say they are a revelation, double gold tapered 20 to 15mm. Pulls back far easier than the Barnett bands I've been using for years and I reckon have similar power? Had the first go today up the woods while we had lunch, using [bANNED TEXT] nuts pinched from the workshop and didn't take many goes to be fairly consistatly hitting a bean can at 12 paces. Going to build a catch box for the garden and get my eye in a bit more over a few different distances and angles.

My guess would be the theraband piisses all over the barnett tubes ;)

I'm an instant convert to therabands, the older forester I work with was shooting catapults since before I was born and had always used square rubber on his, gave him a go and besides out shooting me with my new catapult, he was really impressed and asked me to order him some bands.

B.P.R do you prefer flat bands or I see you use tubing on some of your catapults?

Also fancy a go at making one of the ergo styles you make at some point, I've got a big two foot square plastic chopping board, about 3/4 inch thick, might try cutting one out of that. Do you just use wood rasps and sand paper to shape it? I might just pester you for some rough dimensions if you don't mind!

I dont really use flatbands now mate....

Im converted to the 1745 tubes with the quick attachment slits....

But...

the TBG doubles are really good (maybe the best?) .... but i got soooo fed up if attaching them to the forks....

I just use rasps to get a rough shape and then a dremel to smooth it out... then sandpaper...

Check out the tutorial at the top of the page... :thumbs: ...

Edited to add....

HDPE is difficult to work by hand... id suggest trying a natural or multiplex catty before hdpe :thumbs: )

Edited by B.P.R

Just found this place, never knew it was here. Hello lads :D excellent thread on making a catapult BPR, I think I'm gonna try that.

GREAT! ...

Thats why i made it... in the hope it would encourage others to give it a go ;)

recently chrono,d a set of bpr ,s 1745 bandsets and found them not far off a set of double therabands.

they are easier to live with as well

therabands cut with an extreme taper are faster but will not last as long

the choice is yours

the fun is in experimenting with different stuff as everybody is different.