Securing Fenns/springers

Just ordered 15 springer Mk6 traps for rabbits. Obviously these do not come with pegs or anchors.

I have not used any of these traps before. What does anyone do to secure them? Is a thin wire spike strait on to the end of the chain good enough or do they need extending?

I have read a few articles about setting the traps in the holes, covering them etc but none of the articles I have seen give much of a clue about securing the traps.

I have seen some excellent posts about earth anchors but is there a cheaper/simpler way. If not what cable is used for earth anchors, how long and anyone know a source for the cable and crimps without having to buy industrial quantities?? Any advice greatfully received.

All the best

AF

I use a 9" piece of welding rod with the end bent over to form a hook, place the rod through the ring on the end of the chain push into the ground making sure the hook is over the ring and push the hook also into the ground, used this method for years and not yet lost a trap. On some of my Fenn's i have extended the chain using a piece of thin steel rope tied through the ring, so i can secure the trap to the bottom of wire fences etc, comes in usefull if the trap is placed deep in a hole, making it difficult to get the peg into the ground.

Happy Trapping 8)

I use a 9" piece of welding rod with the end bent over to form a hook, place the rod through the ring on the end of the chain push into the ground making sure the hook is over the ring and push the hook also into the ground, used this method for years and not yet lost a trap. On some of my Fenn's i have extended the chain using a piece of thin steel rope tied through the ring, so i can secure the trap to the bottom of wire fences etc, comes in usefull if the trap is placed deep in a hole, making it difficult to get the peg into the ground.

Happy Trapping 8)

Cheers Fenbo.

This is just the sort of info I was after. I didnt want to spend loads more money if it wasnt necessary. Alternatively I didnt want to lose any expensive new traps!! I suppose 2.5mm fencing wire would work as well as your welding rod.

All the best

AF

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am still waiting for the Mk6 springers to be delivered but I decided to make a start and so borrowed 5 MK6 Fenns.

I am setting the traps (which are genuine Mk 6 Fenns) well in the holes so birds etc are unlikely to get to them and with plenty of clearance for the trap to spring (i.e. not hit the roof or the walls of the hole). The traps are covered with fine sand so they can not be seen and set so they are just above normal floor level.

Here's the problem......

the traps seem to be springing OK but out of 7 or 8 activations I have only got 2 rabbits ( these were both cleanly caught by the head and front paw). What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone help??

All the best AF

Is there any sign of fresh digging activity from the holes in which the traps were sprung .We used to get a fair few traps sprung by this .You have to trap a hole warren or stop some of it ,so the chance of a couple of traps being filled with soil is fairly high .Try the trap at arms length?

Is there any sign of fresh digging activity from the holes in which the traps were sprung .We used to get a fair few traps sprung by this .You have to trap a hole warren or stop some of it ,so the chance of a couple of traps being filled with soil is fairly high .Try the trap at arms length?

Thanks for the reply.

The holes I set the traps in were well used and well established. I dont think it was digging nearby that set them off though I will pay a bit more attention next time with this in mind.

I am ony using 5 traps at the moment the others have still not arrived :angry: Intially set them on the most likely looking holes in a couple of burys and they have been there a couple of days. I think I will try stopping up the holes with no traps in them and see what happens.

All the best AF

Which way round are you setting the traps? They should be set side on, :yes: so the thump loop is facing the wall of the sett, other wise positioned long ways, when sprung the trap will just flip your quarry over and so it will escape to piss you off another day. :wallbash::censored:

Happy Trapping Fenbo 8)

Which way round are you setting the traps? They should be set side on, :yes: so the thump loop is facing the wall of the sett, other wise positioned long ways, when sprung the trap will just flip your quarry over and so it will escape to piss you off another day. :wallbash::censored:

Happy Trapping Fenbo 8)

Thanks Fenbo, Yes I am setting them with the thumb loop to the side wall of the tunnel. 'Theoretically' the rabbits should be walking over the trap and it should be catching them either side. Perhaps I have just been unlucky so far. Does anyone else get many traps sprung empty??

"Dead" right Netter.

By the way George and Mildred ( the two Sandy ferrets we got from you - yeah I know sorry abot the names) are both doing great. Hope to take them out working later in the season.

All the best AF

Im glad to hear it, Let me know how they get on.

Cheers