Decoying Fail!

I tried setting up a pattern to shoot from a hide not long ago but the only woodie that passed over it did so at high speed and about 4' off the ground!

It was intermittent rain and a bit windy.

Is the weather the most likely reason for the lack of pigeons?

The were all roosting up trees.

I was out with an over under and set the pattern up horseshoe shaped facing into the wind with a flapper and about 14 half shells.

On a lighter note I tried my fox call while in the hide which attracted magpies to me lol so

They got a surprise and I didn't go home having shot absolutely nothing

hi the fox call don,t help you when your shooting the pigeons,get some magpies decoys put them out bye a a rabbit with the guts out if you can get one at the time or just out from the fence,, it sound you got the patten right faceing into the wind was your hide just off a flights patten if you look to where the pigeons are flying in the air thats theyer flight patten put your hide just off to the right or left of the flight patten ,i myself do like the wind but the rain is a no from me i hope this can help you good luck but no fox caller p/s can the pigeon see you got to have good camouflage mind if they can see you you won,t get much luck

hi the fox call don,t help you when your shooting the pigeons,get some magpies decoys put them out bye a a rabbit with the guts out if you can get one at the time or just out from the fence,, it sound you got the patten right faceing into the wind was your hide just off a flights patten if you look to where the pigeons are flying in the air thats theyer flight patten put your hide just off to the right or left of the flight patten ,i myself do like the wind but the rain is a no from me i hope this can help you good luck but no fox caller p/s can the pigeon see you got to have good camouflage mind if they can see you you won,t get much luck

Cheers buddy, should have mentioned I only played with the fox caller AFTER I'd given up hope of woodies arriving lol!

I was using a new stealth camo net which to be fair allowed me to be pretty damn close to the magpies.

I think your right about the rain as it was pretty miserable.

There were pigeons flying into the trees around me and I could have had a couple with an air rifle but I didn't have one with me.

Cheers Again

decoying at this time of the year is hard because they are all flocking up o don't be disheartened mate. if theres no shoot on your perm. then try and get into some woods for a bit of roost shooting.

also I personally don't think that a fox call will have any effect to the woodies unless they are close by their hearing isn't that great and they rely more on sight to detect danger.

atb

Ratsmasher

Hiya becca & ratsmasher,

The areas I have perm on don't have shoot though one has a hunt that goes through it.

Think your right I should persevere and hopefully things will pick up! Must take a flask and an air rifle next time I was chittering lol

Cheers guys I feel better now :-)

The windy the better for me, I stick a few crows and a magpie decoy out as well then I gives a chance of more shooting whatever of the three comes in.

Gloves scarf hat and good real tree jacket, they can see skin miles away then eyes when they closer.

I would bother complicating things with an airgun mate just blast them out of the tree with your shotty some say it isn't sporting but at the end of the day you're there to kill pigeons it's not a game shoot. Might be worth travelling as light as you can if there's lots of ditches and hedges that you can get yourself into consider putting on the camo and ditching the hide and just carry a few decoys and a bouncer and move about as they change. Once you get an idea of what their routine is you can loosely follow it and build something of a bag

Hope that is some help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...