Last Few Sessions.

pointer

The squirrels normally escape into the ivy covered trees, the one today was running up and down and around a big bare oak and it still out smarted her. Very frustrating but I have to admire it lol.

It would have made an easy catty or air rifle shot as it was clinging onto the side of the tree for minutes at a time with the hawk on the other side unable to see it.

Happened to me last week, kept taking shots with the catty and missing as the squirrel was high up, it finally came down and frooze on a lower branch, easy shot wouldnt miss, put my hand in the pocket to get a ball bearing out, nothing left in the pocket lol

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't get out in the week due to work and Saturday was a series of misses, the hawk just couldn't seem to get on terms with stuff in the wind. She did have a long flight on a pheasant and I lost

The squirrels normally escape into the ivy covered trees, the one today was running up and down and around a big bare oak and it still out smarted her. Very frustrating but I have to admire it lol.

At least you're catching stuff mate........funny game isn't it.....it either seems to be highs or lows sometimes

I'd been out for half an hour on Tuesday just before it got dark when the hawk took off into a tree line beside a stream. Seconds later I heard her crashing through cover but when I got over to her she was stood on the bankside soaking wet. I imagine she had gone for a moorhen or rat and missed. The plan was to go lamping last night but the wind was far too strong.

This morning I had a good hunt on two squirrels which lasted around 45 minutes. At times I knew where the squirrel was up at the top of the tree but the hawk would still be convinced it was near the base where she had last seen it. Several times I had to get her back on the glove and across to the other bank where I would put her into a tree and then by thowing sticks or a stone at the branches the squirrel would move slightly and she would see it. There were some real exciting bits of action but in the end even though I could still see a squirrel at the top of a tall tree I walked away and carried on hunting. I didn't think she was going to get this clever critter and it deserved to get away after being pursued for so long. Feeling disappointed it was only a small consolation when she dropped from a tree into bramble catching a rabbit by the back leg as it went into the set. I carefully got hold of the other leg and extracted the bunny from the ground. This afternoon I took the old lurcher out with her and after missing a rat she caught another. As I was dealing with the hawks kill I turned to see the lurcher had caught another rat. Not suprising this dog has killed more rats than rabbits. I should be content I suppose but I can't help feeling a bit down after missing two squirrels one of which was hunted on and off for a long time.71BE4332-F8DE-45BE-AA89-ED4742E0202C.jpg54D15553-F67F-4310-A616-36CBF5225B40.jpg

At least you're catching stuff mate........funny game isn't it.....it either seems to be highs or lows sometimes

• Like 1

I can't seem to get going properly, she hit a moorhen this morning but couldn't get a good grip on it through the pile of broken branches it was under. Moorhens seem to keep evading us this season. So much for them being an easy quarry lol.

I can't seem to get going properly, she hit a moorhen this morning but couldn't get a good grip on it through the pile of broken branches it was under. Moorhens seem to keep evading us this season. So much for them being an easy quarry lol.

Neither can i mate, as soon as they see me there off. Or under the water never resurfacing where you can see it

I caught a lot of Moorhens with the harris........but when I moved to a gos I didn't allow him on any, held him back so much, he wouldn't even bait at them in the end........there just too much hassle sometimes, shitty water, Islands in ponds etc etc

Moorhen taste nice though....

• 2 weeks later...

My hawk has had a week of near misses, the wind was blowing strongly today so I cancelled the hunting I had planned and put a new roof on my aviary and kennel block. I did go out for an hour before dark and the wind had me worried at times but she battled against it to stay with us. After a while the gusts were just too strong so I went into a small wooded area and she jumped onto a mixied rabbit. No big deal but at least she got to feed up on a warm kill after a week of crashing through bramble and cover for no reward.

9E2BF633-54D3-47FD-BA53-394292EC2020.jpg

• Like 1

I tried her out lamping this week on a few rabbits but she was striking down just behind them. I don't know if she was losing sight of them at the last minute as she went in.They all ran straight ahead so the light might have been blotted out.I think it would be easier if someone else did the lamping and I just slipped the hawk. Good fun anyway.

I tried her out lamping this week on a few rabbits but she was striking down just behind them. I don't know if she was losing sight of them at the last minute as she went in.They all ran straight ahead so the light might have been blotted out.I think it would be easier if someone else did the lamping and I just slipped the hawk. Good fun anyway.

It' is easier with someone else on the lamp & it's good to have a squatter you virtually have to kick up.......still tricky for them to master their footing in artificial light though.