Cz 17 Hmr 452 American Floating Barrel

Hi all, been out shooting paper with my cz 452 17hmr today, went well until a little hail came and I changed ammo. I was using Federal V-max 17gr @ 50 paces, all went well, group was about 1/2 inch. Moved target out to 100 paces, ok but shooting 2 inches low - adjusted scope, problem solved. Then came some hail, quickly covered everything up under tarp - went to get fresh ammo from the safe - CCI TNT Hollow point 17gr. Used up the last of the first ammo (Federal 17g Polymer tip V-max) had 5 to use so just used them, rubbish this time - holes peppered all between 2 and 5 o'clock, about 2 inches off centre. Next 5 shots were the TNT's - same result. Came back in the house feeling disheartened, bore was filthy - gave it a good clean and noticed that the barrel is touching on the right hand side, can't slide a rizla down there even

Any ideas, could be moisture from the hail, could just be chance, could be ammo, but it did it with the last 5 of my Federals too

Also of the 15 TNT's I shot, 10 of them had split cases - I have read that this doesn't really matter, also they weren't loading with ease the same as the Federals.

Any ideas as to the cause would be great

Thanks guys

Is the screw loose ? Loosen the screw re position the stock so it's not touching the barrel and re tighten the screw . Check zero . Did you clean the barrel back to metal ? My 452 shoot's well for about 40 round's after which the group's get bigger. Clean it back to metal and it's good for another 40

Mine was not free floating and never would have been had it not been for my intervention.

The cutout in the stock at the front of the action was too deep and much of the barrel was contacting wood. I filled the cutout and remounted metalwork. If you take the stock off its easy to see where!

Gun is completely free floating now from the action and works a treat.

Mine is the American WMR but the action is the same as the HMR! :thumbs:

post-10759-0-92621000-1384893214_thumb.jpg

PS, who knows if this is your problem but it will take a screwdriver and 5 mins to find out!

EDIT

This did not need any sanding or further wood removal from the stock, it simply needed a small strip adding back in, which lifted the whole barrel slightly, quick and easy, no cutting/sanding/stain/lacquer/oil. :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Got 2 CZ 452's. One in 22lr, one in 17HMR. I sanded away where the barrel sits with a sanding drum (that's what i call it) which came with my Dremel multi tool. Rubbed a bit of wood stain where i had sanded and now they both float a treat. Check out the video called 'How to free float a bolt action rifle' on Youtube.

Was pretty accurate until it either got dirty or the ammo change caused it. Then I noticed the barrel when cleaning it - would it have been free floating when new? its the American version?

If I undo those screws it may sort it, or if not is it safe to undo the screws the whole way and separate the stock/action/barrel? I don't want screws and springs and bits n bobs flying everywhere lol

Was pretty accurate until it either got dirty or the ammo change caused it. Then I noticed the barrel when cleaning it - would it have been free floating when new? its the American version?

If I undo those screws it may sort it, or if not is it safe to undo the screws the whole way and separate the stock/action/barrel? I don't want screws and springs and bits n bobs flying everywhere lol

2 screws hold the metal and wood together, that's it.

There are no springs that come flying out, look at the parts diagram in the manual, it could hardly be any easier!! :thumbs:

Hi all, had a look at the underside of the gun today - there are 3 screws, all into the metal that attaches the trigger guard to the stock. The screw right infront of the trigger came undone easy, but I can't budge the other two - they are stuck tight and I don't want to damage the heads on them.

Edited by let'sshoot

Hi all, had a look at the underside of the gun today - there are 3 screws, all into the metal that attaches the trigger guard to the stock. The screw right infront of the trigger came undone easy, but I can't budge the other two - they are stuck tight and I don't want to damage the heads on them.

If my memory serves me correctly the front and rear screws in the trigger guard hold the stock to the metal, the other screw just helps hold the trigger guard in place.