Just as the season is starting my two bull crosses have come down with kennel cough!! Any help/hints/tips to help them thru it???

its a virus so it will have to run its course, just keep them away from other dogs as its highly contagious, give them some benylin

Ive read up a lot about it I'm aware it's highly contagious and they's no actual cure I'v got some antibiotics from a vet Im using at the minute. I've got them both layed up in there run out the way of my other dogs just wondering if there is any extra steps I could take to help them thru it or some advice of someone who's dogs have had it before. Il give that a try il get some benylin tmorrow thanks for the advice mate

i remember someone telling me years ago to use t.c.p and honey i was just looking it up on google and found this

A very long time ago, a very old trainer told me this cure and I have used it with great success ,along with many others that laughed at first but now agree it works.
It is at the first sign of kennel cough you simply give half of a VERY ripe avocado in the morning and half at night for two days very rearly three, and the cough is gone, you also give it to the other dogs in your kennel to prevent them from contracting it.
I have never been sure of the reason for the cure but I think it has something to do with the very high potassium level they contain.
Anyway you can all laugh all you want but it works for me and that is all that matters. cheers.

who knows :hmm:

i remember someone telling me years ago to use t.c.p and honey i was just looking it up on google and found this

A very long time ago, a very old trainer told me this cure and I have used it with great success ,along with many others that laughed at first but now agree it works.

It is at the first sign of kennel cough you simply give half of a VERY ripe avocado in the morning and half at night for two days very rearly three, and the cough is gone, you also give it to the other dogs in your kennel to prevent them from contracting it.

I have never been sure of the reason for the cure but I think it has something to do with the very high potassium level they contain.

Anyway you can all laugh all you want but it works for me and that is all that matters. cheers.

who knows :hmm:

I also got told this off a Freind the other day he said use tcp and honey as it gets rid of the infection out the throat he swears by it but I'm not to sure about it think I'm gonna try the benylin way around it thanks for the advice though mate

Edited by *Jack*

Kennel cough is a term used to describe a broad spectrum of infections of the upper airways of dogs much as a common cold is in humans. In the majority of cases in a healthy adult dog these easily caught and spread infections will settle in their own time. A warm bed, good food and rest are the best treatment with perhaps the addition of a simple linctus type cough medicine, although this is in truth more to treat the owners need to do something than the dog. Not every dog coming into contact with an infected animal will become symptomatic but infection risk is increased if an animal is stressed i.e. in boarding kennels etc in a similar way to a human catching a cold when theyre a little run down.

Dogs may become infected but not obviously symptomatic in that they do not get a cough but may have inflamed airways and so need recovery time also will they will be infectious to others, so if one dog becomes infected its worth treating your others as having it and give all appropriate rest and recuperation etc. The infection can be passed for up to a couple of months after a case but is at its most infectious whilst an animal is actively coughing. The commonest symptoms are the presence a hacking cough culminating in retching that may produce a little foam, fluid and is often exacerbated with exercise and may present anywhere from a couple of days to weeks after exposure. In the cases of some of causative bacteria they may last for some time in the environment, especially in damp conditions, ready to case infection to any dog coming into contact.

There are inoculations, nasal or injection, against this but they are not full proof as they do not give resistance to all of the viruses, bacteria that can cause it and may reduce symptoms rather than stop infection. Antibiotics may be prescribed if things dont settle but in the majority of cases of simple Kennel cough they should not be required but rather used if secondary more serious infection follows leading to pneumonia. In most cases symptoms settle in a week or two but if the cough is getting worse rather than better then see a vet.

Regards sandymere.

Ps, anyone not familiar with Kennel cough should seek a vets advice at the earliest opportunity, there are a number of problems that have a similar presentation but more serious outcomes.