Ferreters Needed Taunton

i drove down to taunton this morning to meet up with peter, what a decent chap, me him and his little boy had a good days ferreting/shooting, we started out with my terrier marking up about a 20 holer set, we had a few bolts from there, peter, fair play took a cracking shot, and had the 1st rabbit in the bag, the cover is still really thick, the ammount of rabbits there was unbelivable, and the damage theyv done is behond a joke. as we moved on the rabbit sets were mostly in thick cover but we had a few bolts, the dog marked well, we decided to move onto a bit of clear sets, of which we had a few more bolts,peter took a shot at a bolting rabbit but we both thought the rabbit had escaped but we heard a squeel in the thick cover, so sent the terrier in to retrieve the rabbit, the place is absolutly swarming with rabbits but the cover is so thick, it will be better ferreted after the frost has gotten to it, but id just like to thank peter for giving a good days ferreting/shooting in the somerset countryside, no place i would rather of been today, one thing i will say though is i think im going to need to get another working ferret, i took 2 albino jills today, the one worked absolutly fine, but the other kept faffing about outside the holes after working it, not letting me pick her up, and with big sets like these (as some were 30-40 holers) its a pain in the arse. plus the other works better in my opionion. so if anyone has a working ferret forsale pm me, but thankyou peter for a cracking day, when the frost has come, closer to christmas give me a shout and we'll have another crack at it, ATB mate foxtails.

i drove down to taunton this morning to meet up with peter, what a decent chap, me him and his little boy had a good days ferreting/shooting, we started out with my terrier marking up about a 20 holer set, we had a few bolts from there, peter, fair play took a cracking shot, and had the 1st rabbit in the bag, the cover is still really thick, the ammount of rabbits there was unbelivable, and the damage theyv done is behond a joke. as we moved on the rabbit sets were mostly in thick cover but we had a few bolts, the dog marked well, we decided to move onto a bit of clear sets, of which we had a few more bolts,peter took a shot at a bolting rabbit but we both thought the rabbit had escaped but we heard a squeel in the thick cover, so sent the terrier in to retrieve the rabbit, the place is absolutly swarming with rabbits but the cover is so thick, it will be better ferreted after the frost has gotten to it, but id just like to thank peter for giving a good days ferreting/shooting in the somerset countryside, no place i would rather of been today, one thing i will say though is i think im going to need to get another working ferret, i took 2 albino jills today, the one worked absolutly fine, but the other kept faffing about outside the holes after working it, not letting me pick her up, and with big sets like these (as some were 30-40 holers) its a pain in the arse. plus the other works better in my opionion. so if anyone has a working ferret forsale pm me, but thankyou peter for a cracking day, when the frost has come, closer to christmas give me a shout and we'll have another crack at it, ATB mate foxtails.

drop me a pm when you go next only up the road.might have some of this years ferrets for you by then.Sounds like a job for the long nets around the big warrens

drop me a pm when you go next only up the road.might have some of this years ferrets for you by then.Sounds like a job for the long nets around the big warrens

yep will do, but you'l have to speak to peter about that,, i had long nets with me today, if you seen the land you'd understand, it was a banking with a big rounded drop in the middle with another banking on the otherside so the rabbits could bolt anywhere, when the frost gets rid of the dense cover it might be a job for the long nets then as with big sets like these its time consuming putting 50 nets down and picking back up ect, just cant wait for the winter !

• Like 1

If there are enough rabbits it's usually worth purse netting it. . . . and long netting.

It just stops the hole hopping a bit. . . .

yep your right but there was just so much cover the first set we netted about 18 holes and left 2 open the rabbit run straight out of the un-netted holes,lol, i took longnets/gate nets with me but there was just too much cover, it will be a good ferret/shoot when the frost has gotten to it all. my permission is mostly small sets, so my ferrets arnt really used to working big sets like those up there, and most of the warrens were really deep,

that was a very fair offer and opportunity to get out for a good days ferreting,nice and varied with all the nets you took and a gun to boot! should be another worthwhile trip if you get the chance to go again,good luck with it...