Mtc Viper Connect

I have a Viper Connect in my kit; it’s a great little lightweight scope with decent optics. It isn’t fitted to a rifle at the moment as I much prefer the very fine reticle of the Hawke Panorama for HFT and daylight hunting alike. I will probably fit it on my hunting rifle along with the NiteSite now the nights are drawing in as the side focus is easier to use with the NiteSite than the AO of the Panorama.

Regards, Steve

I have the Viper Connect with the finer AMD reticule mounted on a .177 HW100KS and love it - especially the very short eye relief which eliminates parallax error. The eye cup touching your eyebrow can freak you out at first but you soon get used to it. Obviously not recommended for a recoiling spring air rifle!

My son after trying mine, went straight out and bought one for his new SL510.

Very different to a normal scope and the short eye relief takes a bit of getting used to, but once I got accustomed to it, I LOVE IT! I rotate the eye cup back and gently rest my eyebrow on it. Unlike a normal scope it is very easy to get a consistent head position every time.

I currently have a Connect, Mamba and Viper and the Connect on my Mk4 is my favourite. Had Hawke before too, but I prefer MTC.

The wide field of view is brilliant for hunting and HFT - easy to spot and maintain aim on quarry and identify wind direction at the same time as you can see so much more. Despite its small front element, it is very bright too. Optically, I think it is better than both the Viper and the Mamba and much better than my Hawke Panorama.

Bad points -

mounting options are limited. I use a Connectamount. Also, if you want to add a torch/laser as it is so short and the mounts are unusual there is not a lot of space for scope mounted add-ons. It can be done though with use of various adaptors.

Also focus wheel is small and quite stiff. Rowan Engineering make a little arm for it which is a good idea. I made my own ages ago so I can focus between 10-50 yds with a little nudge of my thumb without removing my eye from the scope. Very useful when hunting.

I like having the extra magnification on the other scopes too sometimes.

I find the SCB2 reticle perfect for me. Ranges work well in .177 at 10x, with a 30yd zero. Half Mil = 39yds, 1 mil = 45yds, every half mil = 5yds from there on. Simples.

Best thing to do is find a shop and try one out. I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed another scope for a PCP.

Tim

• Like 1

I have tried and looked at most scopes,bought the connect, love it very clear optics, and short eye relief, which I prefer as I shoot with a pulsar N550 at night very similar.had a Mamba but had trouble with "white out" no problem with the connect, not good with fading light only centre of reticule illuminated' as VM commented gets a bit busy, haven't seen another scope I would buy yet though