Sugar Ray Leonard

Yep, he was a great fighter. That era was a good one...Hearns, Haggler, Duran etc from abroad and Sibson, Minter, Mcguigan and Honeygan from over here. They've all entertained me. :boxing:

I remember seeing a classic probably back in 81 - 82 Leonard vs Hearns in a 15 rounder. somehow Leonard dug deep in round 14 and pulled something out of the bag and stopped him, how Leonard found the stamina after 14 hard rounds to let go with a blitz of punches like he did back then still astounds me :yes:..

Cheers

Jasper

you dont see fighters like that now a days :boxing:

There were some greats back then.I thought Leonard was among them,and this particular fight,was his best.Sometime after this,I thought he lost heart,and began clowning,like when I thought Hagler threw that fight,and when Leonard challenged Don Lalonde for Lalonde's title,yet Leonard had Lalonde,the Champion,drop down to 168,and Leonard got "both" titles for his farce.Think what a monster Hagler had been,and how versatile,switching styles,showing finesse against a bull like Sibson,showing guts against a quick fisted bomber Hearns,yet practically fought Leonard as if he were sparring.I think Leonard had as much natural ability as any fighter ever,it's just a shame,the 2 performances I mentioned,are what comes to mind for me.Don't forget Saad Muhammed,Spinks,J.Conteh,Ken Buchanen,and many more good(way above good) fighters.

craig