What taper of theraband gold you lads using to take game? ive just been given 50 what look to be around 18mm steel ball bearings ,there absolute monsters lol

I use 25-20mm with 12mm lead but thinking something like 30-20mm would be better with these any other taper you would recommend?

Then just state your favourite setup with what ammo, be good for beginners looking for advice like i was when i first started out

They are massive mate but some lads use 16mm lead for pheasants so these will be around the same weight i should think, and i got 50 for free :boogy: think i will have a go with the 30-20mm taper for them, should be good for short range, and knocking pheasants and pigeons from there roost, not that im planning on doing so :whistling:

I bet they gave the game a headache lol

missed the easiest shot in the world today at about 3 yard on a rabbit, put it about half an inch over its head :doh: I blame it on the wrecking ball size ammo im shooting lol im out on the lamp saturday with the bird so hopefully see how he fairs first then might have a walk round with the catty, give the cannonballs a real test then ha

The real close shots are the easiest to mess up!! I've had countless shots that I've missed because I was too close.

With the .38 conicals I've had a complete pass through on a squirrels rib cage at 12 yards and smashed a bunnies head open, exposing its brain at 20 yards.

The real close shots are the easiest to mess up!! I've had countless shots that I've missed because I was too close.

With the .38 conicals I've had a complete pass through on a squirrels rib cage at 12 yards and smashed a bunnies head open, exposing its brain at 20 yards.

I saw the pic of the rabbit, looked like it had been through a meat slicer lol. Problem is with close shots is when im practicing its at about 15 yards so any closer my point of aim changes and even when shooting instinctive i still tend to miss, need more practice at different ranges!

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

18mm !!! :shok: Wouldn't want t get in the way of that !!

I just went out and measured mine and they're 20mm down to about 15, on the catty I use most. I don't really measure them as such - I like to cut them according to how they will fit on the fork, if that makes sense ?

To give a 'for instance', I made a very tiny catty with forks around 12mm wide ( I think I posted a pic of it once), so I wouldn't try to put a 25mm band on it.

20-15mm for me with the new TBG formula.

What ammos that with buddy? Might try that taper myself :hmm:

Up to 12mm lead mate.

If your tapers are too large for the ammo weight you are shooting you will lose speed. For 18mm lead I would try 23mm-18mm to 25mm-20mm. Anything over a 25mm taper I have found overkill with doubles, unless you are firing canon balls or are using an extreme taper which I wouldn't recommend due to the short band life, especially now the weathers dropped in temperature.