Advice Needed For Beginner.

jsennitt

Hi everyone I'm totally new to the site. I'm looking seriously at getting a dog in the next couple of months, was thinking of getting a terrier or terrier cross for flushing game and working cover. Then once i had trained that getting either a whippet or beddy x whippet. I am looking at rabbiting mainly. Just wondering if anyone had advice on a cross or breed that is good for a beginner. My friends have lurchers but they keep bigger ones like bull/greys. Any advice on training or different breeds would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for your advice mate. I've never seen a cocker x terrier. I suppose that would make it less likely to go to ground. I've seen my mates cocker work from time to time he's a good dog. Any ideas on the type of cross you go for? Like what breed of Terrier?

• Like 1

ok mate a good jack Russell will push rabbits out for you no problem and they love it,also a spaniel or spaniel cross as they are a little more calmer i find especially after you have caught something(in my opinion) and dont usually go to ground,just take it out from an early age and let it see rabbits running about and after a while the penny will drop so to speak or get it out with an older dog, as for lurchers any cross as long as there not to tall would be useful, although something with a bit of whippet in will give the dog an early turn of speed but that depends on the type of ground you run,as for training theirs loads of imfo out there on the net or maybe even a good old book.

I was thinking Russell cause I know they're fast as well. My mate casually works a cocker dog and it knows what it's doing so getting it out with the cocker at a young age for a bit of mentoring wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of getting two bitches as I believe they'll be calmer in the home and on the hunt overall. Would you recommend a whippet cross then or pure? I'll be working hedgerows on farm fields. Brambles and some pretty thick cover in places. Whichever bushing dog I get would get quite a lot of opportunity to catch a bunny in the cover. Some swamp-like ground and woodland too as I've seen rabbits around there.

is that two bitches brought on together,if so i personally would get the one dog for now and bring it on to a good standard in both work and obedience before adding another,as for living together bitches bicker alot more (in my opinion) i kennel my dogs separately so dont get that problem,myself id go for the whippet cross but a pure whippet is a cracking dog.

I with regards what with what to go with the bushing dog, how a about 1/4 bedlington 3/4 whippet......whippet or any small lurcher........1/2 bedlington whippet would be a nice addition, but may want to get in the bush along with the terriers.

I've always worked jack Russell's for bushing, just your average granny lap dog style jack russell, all seem to take to it like a duck to water, only had one that goes to ground for a quick look, but that rarely happens and if it does its usually down a rabbit hole. Bitch I'm working at the minute is ten years old and is a fantastic little worker....priceless to me.....just fits nicely into the rabbit runs.

One jack at the back has passed, but the little one at the front is the best russell I've owned.

IMG_5349.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 2

The Russell will work the thickest of cover and into the smallest of places, its second nature to them, if there's the scent of a rabbit there she's in.....great little dog, had duck, pheasant, all sorts with her...great house dog too. The black lurcher is half border collie greyhound nearly 12 years old about 24/25 inch to the shoulder. The little sandy pup is now 22 months old she is 19.5 inch tts...dam bedlington whippet x sire collie/greyhound x whippet.

IMG_5730.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm going to get the bushing dog first and bring that to a good standard then get the whippet or whippet cross once the first one is working well. I'm just looking for a good little rabbiting duo. Any opinions on the Bedlington whippet?

Absolute cracking cross mate, make good ferreting dogs, and good lamping dogs on the bunnies too, and that nice linty coat helps stop some injuries that the smooth coats tend to get, also have a think about a beddy cros greyhound also a brilliant cross and quite intelligent too, but if its a pure bunny dog to work with the terrier you will be hard pressed to beat a beddy whippet pal.

Everyone seems to be behind the beddy whippet, what's their temperament like in general? (I know obviously they won't all be the same personality lol). I'm strongly leaning towards along legged JRT or something crossed with one and a beddy whippet atm. Thanks for all the great advice lads :).