Parent Reared Or Imprint...

Gaz_1989

I hunt all sorts of ground at the moment from paddocks and golf courses to moorland and the fens.

If the bird could take pheasant, rabbit and hare then I would be a happy man and my ferrets would be happy too.

I ferret alot so a bird that would accompany us ferreting would be good - although I'm sure that most would.

I like the idea of a bird following on.

Would a female Harris hawk tackle hare and pheasant?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so I have searched and I know what the difference is... I think...   Parent reared is hatched with its parents and stays with them (no human contact) untill 20-22 weeks when a human has to basica

The Harris is a more sociable bird mate than the reds are, its in the fact that they hunt in groups and also live in groups for protection etc they even have a set hierarchy within the group, unlike m

Yeh mate FHH she flys at 2.3 2.4 but don't take any notice of that as mate as different birds have different flying weights! Same as hunting weight etc! Lorne

I hunt all sorts of ground at the moment from paddocks and golf courses to moorland and the fens.

If the bird could take pheasant, rabbit and hare then I would be a happy man and my ferrets would be happy too.

I ferret alot so a bird that would accompany us ferreting would be good - although I'm sure that most would.

I like the idea of a bird following on.

Would a female Harris hawk tackle hare and pheasant?

Ye some with ease, but sometimes a female gets knocked about by a hare and wont chase them again, wheras some just keep going and get expert on them. Pheasants wont be taken by full on tail chases but on the rise and dive into cover when following on yes, a harris following on is a great sight and puts a smile on my face lol

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

was the harris been a mugger aimed at me lol

no but yeah but ........ :laugh::laugh:

no mate it weren't a dig at you, just a general comment, when you hear of Harris its always like they not as good as other sorts of BOP's, like they a child or beginners bird, something to move on from as soon as you know the basics and having hunted my own I know they are very versatile and clever hunters, to be fair it can take a few seasons to see the real full potential unlocked, but how many have used them to get into the game and the bird fair play will suffer because of the newbies mistakles etc and maybe moved on well before its learned the ropes and adopted its own style etc likesay just an observation,

I think a lot of it comes from the old school mentality to falconry, nowadays lads with the right approach and time taken to find a mentor books dvd's, payed instruction/hunting days etc can take on whatever bird they choose, so starter birds are no longer needed as happened in the past, sort out what ground and quarry you have to use and choose the bird from that, I reckon if most where totally honest most would own harris hawks, the snobbery within falconry around them is a little sad imho, these things liveoment such a long time and nowt excels by being moved on from pillar to post :thumbs:

lol the coment was tongue in cheek mate lol me and gaz were having a convosation the other day and I was telling him how my fhh took phesant but it was the style she took them in and I told him that people call it mugging when a harris takes phesant lol that's why I couldn't help putting it in lol
  • Like 1

females will take Hare, same with gos females however one good kicking and a lot will quit and the hare is not an animal to give up without a fight , be ready to get in and get ya hands mucky, if not get a dog that the bird will allow to assist finish

was the harris been a mugger aimed at me lol

no but yeah but ........ :laugh::laugh:

no mate it weren't a dig at you, just a general comment, when you hear of Harris its always like they not as good as other sorts of BOP's, like they a child or beginners bird, something to move on from as soon as you know the basics and having hunted my own I know they are very versatile and clever hunters, to be fair it can take a few seasons to see the real full potential unlocked, but how many have used them to get into the game and the bird fair play will suffer because of the newbies mistakles etc and maybe moved on well before its learned the ropes and adopted its own style etc likesay just an observation,

I think a lot of it comes from the old school mentality to falconry, nowadays lads with the right approach and time taken to find a mentor books dvd's, payed instruction/hunting days etc can take on whatever bird they choose, so starter birds are no longer needed as happened in the past, sort out what ground and quarry you have to use and choose the bird from that, I reckon if most where totally honest most would own harris hawks, the snobbery within falconry around them is a little sad imho, these things live such a long time and nowt excels by being moved on from pillar to post

My female has taking hare rabbit pheasant! I still handle her every day even thru moult (some people do some people don't) she can be a wee bitch some times as she's heavy when she in the aviary or in garden she ain't vocal at all but in season when I box her take to farm get her out and ready then she can be abit! Roll on next season getting twitches already

Lorne

• Like 1

My female has taking hare rabbit pheasant! I still handle her every day even thru moult (some people do some people don't) she can be a wee bitch some times as she's heavy when she in the aviary or in garden she ain't vocal at all but in season when I box her take to farm get her out and ready then she can be abit! Roll on next season getting twitches already

Lorne

Is that a female Harris?

What weight does she fly at?

Ive sent those dvds mate, sent you a pm but my pms arnt reliable as of late so dont know if you got it

Cheers fella. Appreciate that. Didn't get a PM mate no.

It keeps happening saying theyve been sent and read but get no reply then when i ask if they got it a few times they havent?

Ive sent those dvds mate, sent you a pm but my pms arnt reliable as of late so dont know if you got it

It keeps happening saying theyve been sent and read but get no reply then when i ask if they got it a few times they havent?

they must be stuck in the mods"read later box" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry i dont follow :laugh:

hahaha. Loads of people think the mods can read PMs. Its a standing joke. They cant though I assure you.

Gaz

• Like 1

hahaha. Loads of people think the mods can read PMs. Its a standing joke. They cant though I assure you.

Gaz

I thought that but didnt want to make out i knew what he meant to be made to look like a prick lol