Help Please......

frannie

Hi,

Looking for information about how bushing dogs are trained, how they work and maybe some of the commands that are used? This great dog came to me as a rescue and was originally picked up as a stray in Ireland. It has become apparent that in his former life he was trained in some form of hunting? he has an extremely high prey drive, and brings his kills to hand (rabbits, pigeons and young fox), responds to whispers in the field, and will mark by barking, and sings(?) when he's been on deer through the woods. He is constantly hunting when out and if he gets on a scent there's no calling him back, which is an issue we are struggling with, apart from that he is a calm, loving family dog with an outstanding temperament in the home and an intelligent, agile hunter.

Would love any advice on what commands he might have been taught to get him off the chase etc, and the whole working process in general. My experience with working dogs lies with HPR's so this is a whole new area for me! Any suggestions on what breeds he might have in him would be good too. My current thinking is something along the lines of Beddy, Staffy.......

Thanks

post-88977-0-54959900-1372415099.jpg

Definately Bedlington in my opinion.

When he's on something I doubt you could get him off it with a command, though some on here are much better trainers than me and may have an idea.

And if he can bring fox back to hand alive he's a miracle dog in my mind,,,and you are in for some whacking great vets bills :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

hes probably been fecked off by his last owner for yapping and whining around game!! not a dogs best trait. Theres no way of stopping them other than a lead

I like my bushers to yap when on game lets me and the lurchers know were on.
  • Like 1