RSPB and DOE setting up falcon breeder's

Guest shaheen

RESPOND PERSONALLY, What is there to say about me. Im not an egg thief I have nothing to hide.

There is one thing on my mind which I cant work out:

Why is a convicted egg thief running the case of people who have been set up?

Why would the RSPB want to set people up for no reason, if there is a reason WHAT?

And are you using other breeders who have been set up as your guinea pigs to clear your name?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RESPOND PERSONALLY, What is there to say about me. Im not an egg thief I have nothing to hide.

Why would the RSPB want to set people up for no reason, if there is a reason WHAT?

And are you using other breeders who have been set up as your guinea pigs to clear your name?

FOR EXAMPLE

post-17028-1206363445_thumb.jpg

I have to say I had a call this morning telling me about this thread. The Derek Canning situation has dragged on for 15 years.

I purchased a peregrine tiercel from Mr Canning in 1993 for the sum of £300.He was advertising in the classified section of Cage and Aviery Birds.

On returning home I removed the bird from the box and discovered it to be cable tied. I contacted Mr Canning and he told me he had applied for an "individual exemption" and it would be in the post shortly.

A few days later I was nightshift and was in my bed during the day.Canning had telephoned my house in a panic demanding my wife wake me up.

She refused but eventually I got up and called Mr Canning. He was clearly upset and it turned out he had been raided by the RSPB and DOE.

He had posted the registration document for the peregrine to me and it had arrived that day. The document had been partially completed by Mr Canning in green biro pen and he had enclosed that in the envelope.He had ticked the bird as a gift and asked me to sign the document and return it to DOE as it was.He also asked me to say the bird was a gift if I was contacted by the police.

I contacted DOE who told me to send the document without alteration as they were aware of Mr Canning.

Mr Canning was subsequently found guilty and sentenced accordingly for stealing approx 29 peregrines from the wild,including the one I had purchased.

Incidentally my evidence was accepted without me actually having to give evidence in court. I have yet to find a breeder that can breed 29 young peregrines from 2 breeding pairs naturally in one year (the breeding pairs had coincidentally been stolen prior to his prosecution.)

Mr Canning served his time and once released he began his vendetta against me. He latched onto the fact that I was a serving police officer and made 2 official complaints to my force stating I had committed perjury (even although I hadn't appeared in the witness box.)

He then tried to sue me civilly in court for the return of the peregrine even although it had already been returned to the wild on the instruction of the court.

He was blown out the water at that court appearance.

Recently he posted all this info on another forum and somehow got access to the moderators shoutbox where he was being talked about.He has made a complaint of harassment from me to the police. No action has been taken as it is not a police matter.I have not been arrested ,am not likely to be, and have not been asked to call at a police station. The matter is finished.

I recently retired from the police on health grounds having completed nearly 25 years service,so I don't know what Canning is inferring in that regard.

I have had enough of Mr Canning and his false allegations.He posts this info on any forum that will allow him to stay and attempts to tarnish my name by giving little unfounded snippets of information that may sew seeds of doubt to those who are prepared to listen to his drivel as he bangs on the same old drum.

The DNA evidence used to convict him may or may not be flawed,I am in no position to comment.All I know is that I purchased a peregrine from him and handed over £300.He asked me to lie about it and I refused. If any of you want to believe what he says there is not a lot I can do about it.

Regards,

Neil Hunter

Edited by Neil Hunter

Can you explain this then?

I do not wish to gloat over this, however, I am going to!

A fellow named Derek Canning was caught by the Northumbria Police (North England) out

in his car close by a Peregrine site that contained 2 nestlings. On the front seat, wrapped

in a coat, were two baby Peregrines. When asked why, he said that he was taking them

out for some fresh air. Not surprisingly, the boys in blue were sceptical. More so when

they found that the nest was now two nestlings short of a full brood.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) arranged a search warrant and

raided his house with the Northumberland Police. About 20 young birds were found with

an assortment of documentation. This claimed that the birds were family groups,

although (alas) the adults were no longer available (lost, died, stolen, etc).

Blood samples were sent to my lab where Jon Wetton (post-doc) analysed their DNA

profiles. We used a series of single locus probes and determined the relationships of

these birds. They did indeed fall into families, but not in accord with the registration

documents. Also, they required more adults as parents that Canning had ever possessed.

the pobability of mutations were 'vanishingly remote' - 10 to the minus 36!

In court, we presented the DNA evidence, and the RSPB presented a lot more about

conditions of care, suspicious behaviour, etc. For example, he had been arrested by a

sharp-eyed bobby (sorry, policeman for the non-Brits) who saw himn walking up to a

mail box with a parcel: the bobby was surprised because in high summer Mr Canning was

wearing big, furry, orange gloves - the sort that do not leave fingerprints!

He kept producing parents that had been recovered. Presumably, he was going back into

the wild and trapping adults at the nest sites in an attempt to produce 'parents'.

Anyway, the long and the short of it was that the jury of 10 good ladies and true (plus a

couple of equally good and true gentlemen) believed not a word of it. Found him guilty on

all counts, and sent him to prison for 18 months. This is the first time that someone has

been imprisoned in the UK for wild-life crime like this, although I think the fact that he

had sold quite a few of the youngsters added to the gravity of his sins. It is more serious if

you sell a wild bird as captively bred than simply possessing it illegally.

The RSPB and the Police did an amazing job in tracking down birds that he had sold having

claimed them as captively bred. The DNA work was intricate rather than difficult. It is

all very satisfactory.

FOR EXAMPLE

who was the Signature witness there is no name?

ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS AS POSTED ABOVE ?

Edited by SPAR
Maybe, so why broadcast it all over the web :hmm: looks like someone's got a grudge

is that aimed at me Mr Puddle?,i dont know either in person or want too.

Regards from an "outside" observer.

NO mate wasn't aimed at you :notworthy:

Maybe, so why broadcast it all over the web :hmm: looks like someone's got a grudge

is that aimed at me Mr Puddle?,i dont know either in person or want too.

Regards from an "outside" observer.

NO mate wasn't aimed at you :notworthy:

no prob's :drinks:

If you look at Cannings History and the comments made by him you can see that he is an obsessive chracter and compulsive liar

who has tried to use various forums to drum up support for his cause.

The man is completely untrustworthy and I doubt he even has a law dergree.